Do you sharpen blades w/bench grinder?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phazeekus, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Phazeekus

Phazeekus LawnSite Member

I was wondering if I could get some opinions from those who use a 6" or 8" bench grinder to sharpen their blades. What kind of grinding wheel do you find does the best job, or what combination of wheels?
    Thanks

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I dont use a bench grinder, but I do use a angle grinder. I use a heavy stone when blade is bad, then I dress with a 60 grit sanding wheel.

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

It's not a good idea to sharpen blades on a bench grinder, you cannot keep the blade angle correct even if your "really" good. Also the blades will become off balance, and reduce spindle life, we use a Wells RGB Professional 3/4hp blade sharpener with Cermaic wheel total cost $500.00 with ceramic wheel option, it has a base to hold the blade flat while sharpening, and a dial that gives you exact blade angle's <>20%. Local dealers here in USAcharges aprox $20.00 per blade less in Canada though with a weak dollar?. You can see a return on your investment within a season: one your blades will be sharper than you can ever get with a bench grinder or angle grinder. Two the blades will stay sharper longer, resulting in reduced engine wear and fuel consumption. The RGB blade sharpener cuts concave, this causes the grass clippings to be thrown up into the deck, and then back down to be cut again. Finally your in control of the quality of the sharpening,this is quick with a Professional sharpner and repeatable sharpened blade angles evey time.

4. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Foound a finer grit works faster than a coarser grit. Keep blade moving or it'll hot spot and lose it's temper.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I try not to turn them blue. I have been sharpening blades with hand tools for a long time, I will probably never by a specialized machine.

6. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a bench grinder but I'm not happy with it. I always screw up the angles and it happens so slowly I don't notice it until I buy a new blade. I also think I take off way too much steel each time I sharpen it. I just wish those blade machines were cheaper and/or I had more lawns. I've felt like picking up one for the longest time.

7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

bill8379, we all start somewhere, are you using commercial grade blades?, because they hold their edge much better, you almost cannot sharpen them with a bench grinder or angle grinder. There are different level of grinding wheels hardness the ceramic is the only one that will sharpen Oregon Gator blades efficiently/quick, without going through a grinding wheel each season.

8. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

:usflag:If your doing alot of lawns a commerical blade grinder is a must to me. I use the RBG-218 does a great job, ive had that grinder for 9 or 10 yrs now, don't forget to get a diamond tip dresser......Marks Mowing Service

9. bladecutter582

bladecutter582 LawnSite Member

I've been using a bench grinder for a while and it hasn't done a good job at all. I need to look hard at a pro grinder.

Where is a real good place to shop for the RGB line of grinders

Thanks

rgb

10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a angle grinder. I have never seen a so called, "commerical blade grinder " at any mower repair shop/dealer.