1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

do you sharpen edger blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clint, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

well... do ya?

thanks guys
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They wear/sharpen all by themselves! ;)

I really wish there were "harder" blades available. They seem to wear too quick sometimes.

I'm lucky if I get a week out of an edger blade, I'm sure not going to manually wear (sharpen) them down on a grinder!
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I sharpen the 8 pointed star blade, sometimes, depending on where I am using it. Never the regular straight blade.

4. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

sharpens itself
  5. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey was wondering does anyone use double blades on a stick edger? I don't mean with a holder just put two blades together and tighten down. If so how does it work and have you noticed a lose of power of any damaging effects?
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It seems to me that this WOULD put enough extra drag on the stickedger that it could possibly create some premature and excess wear on the clutches and so forth. I really couldn't see any reason for this, except widening the gap, and these same results cn be achieved by simply holding the edger out at an angle more.
  7. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

Never tried it, but mine wouldn't like it much. Why would you want to do this?
  8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Double edger blades would make the edge very wide and unattractive.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Not to mention a bigger breeding ground for crabgrass to form!

Thinner is better when it comes to edges!
  10. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry guys i disagree I like the wider edge lasts longer and to me looks better. I don't think that the crabgrass is an issue at all.