Do you sharpen new blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mo Green, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Quick question for you guys. When you buy new blades, do you sharpen them before you put them on, or do you just put them on with the semi-sharp painted edge?

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I usually sharpen them and balance them, because new blades are not really balanced to begin with. If you run them about 20 minutes of cutting will rub the paint off the blade edge.

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

New Blades are Sharp Under the Paint which Wears off Quickly...In Fact the New Honda Blades are Sharp Out of the Box....

They are, However, Never Balanced.

4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I sharpen and balance.

5. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to say if you sharpen new blades you have too much time on your hands :) .

6. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

I make the time to balance/sharpen (not concerned about how sharp, just how balanced). :D

7. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i kinda agree with that ;)

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Totally agree!

9. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

maybe its all in my head but I don't think I ever had a new set of blades that cut well so now they get sharpened before installation.

p.s. no one has ever accused me of being very smart so take the advice with a grain of salt.

10. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Lately, since the addition of the Magna-Matic blade balancer and grinder to our OPE dealership, we will check the balance on the blades before we put them on. Usually they pass. The bad thing about the magna-matic is that it is so dang sensitive, if you breathe on it accidently, it will move the blade.