Do you sharpen new blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnwright238, May 28, 2012.

1. johnwright238

johnwright238 LawnSite Member

I replace blades that have been beaten up by rocks and foreign objects but I don't sharpen them first. If the wear and tear is not too bad, that is when I break out my angle grinder with a 60grit flap wheel and put a 45 degree edge on the cutting side and a few steep passes on the backside.

How do you guys take care of your blades? Tempted to try "new" blade designs but always keep going with regular mulching blades. Anyone have a success story on a particular blade design I should give a try?

2. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

High lift until leaf time then gator blades. Sharpen as needed....

3. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

We sharped new blades. Alot of times they're coated in paint to stop them from rusting in storage before they're sold.

Our blades are sharpened on a 30 degree angle????

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

As somebody noted, the angle for most blades is 30, or 33 degrees. 45 is way too steep. Also, I have never read anywhere that a blade should be touched on the backside (maybe a flat handfile to take off a burr, but never a grinding).

To answer the question: Yes, all new blades need sharpening. Usually, the manufacturing process includes a shear to take off the edge, but the shear does not make the blade sharp for cutting operations.

5. stansoph

stansoph LawnSite Member

Yes. I still sharpen my rotary blades from tip to center. I don't know if it really helps but it looks cool.

6. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

1. I use a Magna Matic sharpen.
    2. No, I don't sharpen new blades or wash my new underwear.
    3. I guess that's all I got.

7. THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Senior Member

I always sharpen new blades, as somebody else said they are coated in paint and imo just not sharp enough. :drinkup:

8. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

Sharpening or not depends on the brand. With the Exmark blades I got from the dealer it was never really required. They mowed great new. My Oregon G6's came with a thicker coat of paint on them, and did a piss poor job with no sharpening. After I sharpened they were a totally different blade.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i don't sharpen new blades. the coating wears off very quickly. i've never noticed a bad cut when putting on new blades. usually brand new blades that haven't been sharpened cut even better than older blades that just have been sharpened. it's because the edge on new blades is perfectly straight and at the right exact angle.

10. johnwright238

johnwright238 LawnSite Member

I like a 45 on my blades because i think it lasts longer with not much sacrifice in the cut, but it sounds like I need to take time out and see what works best one day soon.

Thanks guys for the input;)