Do you sharpen shredders on Mulch Blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RhettMan, Jun 8, 2008.

1. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Like the title says i was wondering if the shop is supposed to sharpen the three shedders on each end of a mulch blade, mine didnt....?
  2. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I've only heard of one guy doing it on here...
  4. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

My dealer had a sign in the service dept." blade sharpening $5/ Gator Blades $8 (I really don't remember the price.) I ask him , "why the price difference?", "do you sharpen the upswept edges?" No...they just charge reason. They just thought the customer would think the Gators were "value added":hammerhead:
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

They aren't shredders. They don't cut anything. They are to keep the cut grass blades suspended longer to get cut more than once by the blade.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I sharpen my Gator edges occsasionally, too.
  7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Really? Can you notice a difference? Which side of the foil do you sharpen?
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The top tip and the inside edges of each the edges and points are sharper. Do I notice the difference? Probably not,...but I know they are much sharper and catchier to the touch, so they MUST be doing something. I am thinking there is a noticeable difference, though. Also, I just do ths with a small 4 1/2" angle grinder, or a die grinder. Can't get it in deep enough to do it on a bench grinder.
  9. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

As the teeth do not cut grass, there's no point in sharpening them.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The sharper they are, the more they are going to shred. Personally, i believe thy shred as well when contacting the clippings and leaves, as they bounce back and forth of the top of the deck.