Do you shave?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by birddseedd, Aug 23, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

For the first time in my life, 30, i can actually grow a beard. sure it took half the summer but i'v got it.

now i'm worried that my appearance will have an effect on my sales. This is why i cut my hair earlier this year (grew it out a bit). short hair and clean cut looks the best in our society. my hair seems a bit scruffy naturally. think i might have irish in me.

for those that prefer facial hair, do you shave it to gain more sales?

2. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, other wish, it looks like your working for beer/weed money IMO.

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Couldn't agree more
    That being said I have a short scuffy beard. I hate it but She won't let me shave Lol

4. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

I do have a uniform. make any difference?

5. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    from Raleigh

i read a sales study once that said that on the average, salesmen without facial hair outsold salesmen with mustaches, and mustaches outsold beards, and they all outsold 3 day growth.

of course, this was before every hollywood actor has a 3 day growth in every scene.

6. cnymowing

cnymowing LawnSite Member

I have a beard, I keep it trimmed between 1/8" and 1/2"... My sales suffer without facial hair, I look like I'm in jr. high school lol.

I think one of the biggest things with facial hair is proper grooming, trim up the neck line (to the jaw for God's sake!!! lol) keep it combed if it is long enough. And remove all food particles after eating, (your customer doesn't want to be looking at that cheeto you are saving for later hahahaha

7. Eric's Lawnservice

Eric's Lawnservice LawnSite Member

ZZ-Top wears suits. They still look like bikers. I grow mine out occasionally but I try to keep it trimmed. Its way easier to just shave.

8. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

I have a beard, have had one for years. I keep trimmed down to #1 setting on my beard & mustache trimmer once or twice a week. I clean shave my neck up to about 1" under my jawbone 3x a week (m,w,f). Not sure how it has affected my sales since I've had it the entire time I've been in business.

9. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I havent shaved since college, i look too young and that was costing me sales. Now i rock the sexy stubble and sales are up!

10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013