Do you smoke?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Magnolia Green, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Magnolia Green

Magnolia Green LawnSite Member

How do you enforce it; especially when you know your guys are doing it behind your back. Two of my main guys are doing it and have lied to me. All I know to do is fire them, but it will definitely hurt me for a while.

Any thoughts? All of my contractor buddies that I confide in, do not know what to say.

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Since everyone is worried about cell phones ,make them leave them at the shop and they can pick them up at the end of the day. Tell them they can give your number to one person in case of emergency.

3. Hamatsa

Hamatsa LawnSite Member

My guys smoke. Rule 1; Never in the truck. Rule 2; Only on a break and Rule 3; Never, ever on a customer's property....always out-of-sight by the trailer. We never leave butts and I have more tattoos then anyone.

4. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I just hire good quality hispanics. They take pride in their job, they show up on time, give 110%, are responsible, let me know when jobs need extra care... its a pleasure working with them. I don't give a damn about smoking. Most contractors smoke... its a fact. They usually smoke in the truck so who cares? I just care about the work ethic, loyalty and attention to detail. I am damn sure not going to fire someone that shows up on time, will work whenever I need them(I have asked them to work to 5am on special prep jobs), care about their work, 1works harder than 3 white guys, etc.

5. grandview (2006)

Most of the time if your commercial properties who's the one seeing you smoke? The guy/gal outside puffing on a heater.

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Only after sex

7. grandview (2006)

In the office?:cool2:

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I am not that picky but I should upgrade my office furniture. It keeps breaking!

9. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Shoot the majority of my clientale ask me not to bring hispanics on their property, so I'm kinda stuck

10. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

So they prefer gangster looking white and black people? After we finish a job, my clients are usually very impressed with my guys. Specifically mentioning polite and helping attitude.