Do you smoke?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Magnolia Green, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Magnolia Green

Magnolia Green LawnSite Member

I don't smoke, but I've been around plenty of people that do smoke and I know how bad the habit is and often people take smoke breaks. It is not fair to those guys that are left working, while the "smoker" has to go take a puff. I'm not on my jobsites unless it's a special situation that requires me to be there. If I allow my guys to smoke on breaks, how do I limit the number of breaks and, personally, I don't feel I should pay them for those smoke breaks, especially when I know how much they will add up over time and how unfair it is to the non-smokers.

I agree, that I would hate to pass up a good employee because of it, but I also believe employees should follow the standards set forth by a company.

2. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I completely agree with all of your points. Allowing employees to smoke WILL create an unprofessional image and turn off your clientele. Just the thought of a customer watching one of MY employees throwing a cigarette butt in the yard makes me very uneasy. The bottom line is do the right thing: keep a no smoking policy in place, and enforce it. Let all your guys know that anyone caught taking a puff will be terminated. Additionally, smokeless tobacco is equally disgusting and unprofessional. I mean really--spitting frequently while mowing a yard? I don't think so.

3. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I smoke a pack a day and have never had a customer say anything and people constantly come up to me while I'm standing by my truck smoking to ask me for a estimate or to cut their yard.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep a strict dress code policy in line and you won't have your guys dressing like dressing like thugs.

5. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

A thug is a thug. No thank you
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Not everyone who smokes is a thug.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. muddywater

I was talking about this breed of young people today not smokers. A few of my guys smoke and it doesnt affect quality or efficiency.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

So all young people are thugs? If that's the case, every old person is a crotchety old b@stard.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. muddywater

I have done my share of hiring and firing. I just find I do less hiring and firing with hispanics.

10. Magnolia Green

Magnolia Green LawnSite Member

I had to fire one guy when we first started our tobacco free policy. He wanted to dip and could not very well let him dip and the others not smoke, so that is why it came tobacco free. How do you enforce your policy?

I really do not want to fire two of my guys, but I do not see any other way, other than reducing pay or suspensions witout pay.