Do you sniff out sales opportunities?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Mar 26, 2007.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

When I do an estimate I'm not just thinking about selling a job and getting my money.

I'm also thinking about the work that we will get from this job.

I always try to observe the prospective client's life style. In this business, us sales people are invited into a prospective client's house to do our sales presentation, which is a perfect opportunity to feel them out!

I am huge on referrals. If I know a job WILL land us alot of future work - I'll price the job low, simply so we can get other jobs from their friends, neighbors, and family. I don't tell them I'm pricing it low. I just do it and sit back and wait for the referals to slowly trickle in.

Anyone else do this?

If so what signs do you look for that tell you if you can expect referals or not?

Last week I was at a home doing an estimate for a small patio outside of their walkout basement sliding door. Which means the owner took me through the basement to get to the area where the patio is desired.

PERFECT! I love being lead through client's basements!

Wanna know why??

Because thats where you'll usually find A BAR!!!

There are two bar scenerios:
    1) a bar with the bare minimums. This means they are sociable, but do not do alot of entertaining.

2) a bar fully stocked! This means they have ALOT of parties and have a large network of FRIENDS!!!

The house I was at last week had a bar in their basement FULLY STOCKED! I was excited to see all those liquor bottles neatly displayed because this tells me that these people are social butterflies! This says "we WILL land at least 3 SOLD referals from this 1 little patio!

I discounted this little patio by about $600.00. I WANT THEIR REFERALS!

Anyone else use the same methods of observation and use similar tactics?

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

How do you deal with builders who say "There will be more houses!"?

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I reply "If only I had a quarter for every time I hear that...."

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

LOL yea. When ever a homeowner tells me that they are planning to do more work in the future, i almost always try to get off the property ASAP. It seems that line is a warning sign that they are looking for a cheap price.

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I've ended up selling neighbors and family members of clients while we're doing work at a home, they see the truck and get nosy, then it's keeping up with the Jones's time, I love those neighborhoods, you know the kind, one guy gets a pool soon half the people on the street are getting them, the same goes for pavers, plantings, really it's mostly the high visibilty items that bring this kind of feeding frenzy but I'll take it anyway it comes. An example, we did a paver apron at the road edge in a guys driveway last summer, by the end of the season we had done 4 more on the same street, I love jealous neighbors. If I get the I'm planning on doing more later line hoping for a better price I make sure they know that any possible discount will come off the future work, a loyalty discount I like to call it, however it does not always apply.