Do you soak your trimmer line in water before using it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by monoshock, Jul 16, 2013.

?

Do you soak you trimmer line before using it?

Poll closed Oct 24, 2013.
  1. Yes, I soak my line, and it helps.

28.3%
  2. No, it doesn't matter.

63.0%
  3. Yes, but just because it makes me sound cool that I do, and don't know if it helps.

8.7%
  1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

There's nothing wrong with leaving your line in the water other than the inconvenience of having to pull it out each time you re-spool. I just soak twice a year and it stays nice and pliable.

Do you mean you have the Gator Magnum Twist or the Gator Platinum Super Twist? There is a difference. GM twist is grey, Platinum ST is blue with a white core.

2. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

Oppsss,

Gator Magnum Twist (Grey). The more I think about it, the more I feel that I should get another spool (Stihl Auto 25-2 head), and use each string intermittenly in hopes of being able to tell which string is serving me best. Something I feel compelled to do..... LOL..

A second spool $13 (just called a dealer)

:usflag: *trucewhiteflag* :usflag:

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Do you ever wonder if soaking your trimmer line will make it more pliable?

4. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I can't see plastic absorbing much and what it did would be gone in seconds.

Anyone know if the adapters included with the Speed-Feed heads will fit a T-35 head? I would like to fit a T-35 to a Kawasaki.

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

This is where misinformation comes from- people who don't really know, but only go off their gut feeling instead of science. You're going off your gut here, but you are guessing incorrectly just like most folks do. I have been doing it for a long time now and it does work. Anyone willing to try it can clearly see it for themselves, especially when soaking an older spool, or one that has sat in the sun for weeks at a time. Fishermen know this about mono-filament line and have for years. Why it's so hard for lawn care folks to grasp is hard to understand IMO.

This is lifted directly from Oregon's website-

"Important Trimmer Line Information:
    Any monofilament trimmer line can lose moisture over time or become brittle, especially if subjected to heat and sunlight. To reduce brittleness, OregonĀ® strongly recommends that line be submerged in water for 24 hours."

6. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

A: I will not attempt to explain how or why it works. But it does work. (I keep mine wet in a 2.5gal paint bucket.

B: yes. The t-35 heads sold at our local Lowes for $23 come with adapters. I use them on Stihl's Echos and Redmax's.

As to why I soak, years ago I had a spool of green Stihl line that was pretty old. It simply shattered or welded near constantly. After soaking overnight in the rain It worked perfectly. Stuck it in a bucket with a lid and kept it wet. Been doing it ever since. Ever go fishin and notice that the first cast doesn't "fly" right? Same thing. Turns out it somehow regains some of its strength too. Try it. Not much to lose.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  7. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Where have I heard that before? :laugh:

8. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

A: I can cast farther with dry new line.
    B: T35 heads do not include the correct adapters for Kawasaki trimmers.

9. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

I assumed (incorrectly) that the Kaw adaptor was the same as Echo. Same Veri head. Thanks for the correction.

10. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

bump..........