Do you soak your trimmer line in water before using it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by monoshock, Jul 16, 2013.

?

Do you soak you trimmer line before using it?

Poll closed Oct 24, 2013.
  1. Yes, I soak my line, and it helps.

28.3%
  2. No, it doesn't matter.

63.0%
  3. Yes, but just because it makes me sound cool that I do, and don't know if it helps.

8.7%
  1. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I spray mine with Fluid Film...never ever breaks...been using the same 5lb spool since 2002 :)

2. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

It would be interesting if the manufacturers (rumored to watch threads like this for marketing purposes). Would relay some actual information and or site studies about their products. Instead they simply determine how ignorant the bulk of "us" are. And adjust their marketing accordingly.

3. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Flexible bump.

4. cimkill

cimkill LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting thanks for the education guys, I had no idea that you should soak trimmer line. Will get a 5 gallon bucket tomorrow and soak the line for next weeks work. Thank you I love this site you learn so much its awesome!

5. monoshock

Keep us posted on the results.

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I use to have a String box that half spool set in water But it rusted away. The fast as I go threw string I don't worry about it any more
    I have used 2 3lb spools so far this year Starting on a 5lb spool

What works as good is a box to keep sun off the spool

7. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

....Agreed and I'll have crew man #2 drop some into the cooler on monday and run it on tuesday to see what he thinks because I read it on the webby(he loves when I put him up to things I read here)

8. monoshock

Wet line bump

9. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

I run the echo shaped line, no difference. I'll give it another day in the cooler, maybe the cold slows down the magic

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Or maybe your line is just in good enough shape that there really isn't a need to soak it. I don't soak new line unless I know it was sitting around for a long time at the dealer. Line that has sat over winter, or out in the sun or my truck box in the heat gets soaked as soon as it starts snapping off quickly or welding etc.