Do you spray fence lines on your mowing properties?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by south jerz, Jun 12, 2005.

1. south jerz

south jerz LawnSite Member

Just wondering who out there sprays chainlink fence-lines with roundup or another herbicide to help with trimming. Are there any special precautions to take? I know roundup kills everything it hits, but will it kill grass basically blade by blade, or in larger patches?

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it kills everything it hits, but it's also systemic, meaning that it's absorbed into the plant and it's roots. basically if you spray a 2 to 3 inch band I find that in the end you have a 6 or so inch wide band of dead grass. maybe i'm wrong here, but I assume that happens because the product gets absorbed into the grass plants and then everything that's attached to the part that you sprayed dies. Could also be the slightest bit of overspray causing this (fine mist).

I despise chain-link fence too.... you could look into a growth regulator for the turf along the fence. would keep it slowed down for 4 to 6 weeks so you don't have to trim it and it dosn't die. I hear that embark at 4 oz. per gallon works well. Iv'e yet to try it, just not that much spare time to be spraying during the day...

3. turfmaster90

turfmaster90 LawnSite Member

If you use round up, the leaves take the chemical to the roots where it stops. It does not leach into the soil or surrounding plants. If you spray a 3 inch path and end up with a 6 inch path the 6 inch path is caused by overspray. To remedy this dont spray on a windy day and lower your pressure on your sprayer.

4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

agreed, drift is the culprit. slow and steady, close to the ground in light or no wind is how you get straight, minimal lines beneath chainlink.

5. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

i use a growth regulater trim 4 times a season