Do you spray the leaves?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MOW ED, Oct 27, 2003.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I got out early today and to my surprise so did TG/CL. What amazed me is that they were spraying and the lawn was 75% covered with leaves.

I have to try and pick up those customers.

Any of you spray guys think thats a good idea or am I missin something?

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Don't sound like that would too much good!

3. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I would say it depends on what they are spraying. Of course no leaves are best. A braodleaf of sort it would say is wasted. I would guess a liquid fertilizer (I have little experience with liquid fert for the record) would get washed in the ground as long as the leaves are not removed from the area till after a rain or something. Mulching the leaves and leaving them in place would be best.
    FOR THE RECORD - if the property is covered in leaves we DO skip the treatment for that day and call and find out when they will have the leaves up.

4. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

I saw an invoice from Scotts the other day, the lawn was totaly covered with leaves. The tech left a note, "do not remove the leaves until the product is rained in very well" We will blow leaves at a property if it will take less than 10 minutes, just to get done, because customers in some areas just seem to never clean the leaves up. we just blow them off of the grass areas we don't by any means clean the property up.

5. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

This is a good topic, something I was actually thinking about last week. This is my first year spraying and I was wondering what to do about yards covered with leaves. Luckily I haven't encountered it yet, but seeing all the leaves coming down last week made me think. Spraying a bunch of leaves seems like a waste to me. Obviously you can't spot spray what you can't see. This is something that wasn't covered in the training I went through.

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

The leaf coverave negated the effects of the spraying. Neither fertilizer or pesticides will penetrate the leaves and make it to the target.
    Depending on the pesticide, most likely, it was adsorbed by the leaf. The fertilizer does not 'move' in the soil as it is chemically bound.
    Sounds like this would be a good account to get from TG/CL.

7. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Spraying or spreading a lawn covered with leaves, regardless of effectiveness, is a great way to piss off your customers. This situation is one of many that allows you the opportunity to differentiate yourselves from the big guys. Leave a note or call your customer in this situation and they will feel like a customer and not a number. TG/CL for one pays their tech's based on the number of lawns serviced in a day, so they will apply regardless of conditions. This is one of the reasons they loose up to 40% of their customers per year.

8. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

This might seem obvious to most of us.......Time your spray apps. to be finished before leaves come down. Here in new jersey you would do your last app granular around thanksgiving (late season fertilization) hopefully the leaves are cleaned up by then and the roots take up the fert. as they are still growing right up till the ground freezes in december.

Many of the big companies go for quantity instead of quality and tell clients it's o.k. to spray with leaves on the lawn.

Those of us that care about quality and service sooner or later end up with the dissatisfied clients and we keep them happy for many years to come:)

Pete D

9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

But the BEST broadleaf weed control is an application (in our area) made in mid-October to mid-November, just during the heavy leaf drop. Therfore, if you are in total maintenance, do your broadleaf application right after a cleanup/mowing in that timeframe.

For my fert/pest only clients, I ask them to advise me the day they do a cleanup/mowing so treatment can be made right afterward.