Do you still have to trim a lot?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by breck75, Jan 14, 2005.

1. breck75

breck75 LawnSite Member

I am new to the business and I was wondering if you have to do a lot of trimming after you have mowed with a ZTR? I know that there will be hard to reach places so to speak but I am thinking about bidding on a cemetery and I am just wondering if any of you do these types of properties and what do you do with the trimming? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Breck :help:

2. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I am interested in the same topic, I have always run a wb 48" and I was thinking about getting a ztr44", since it can fit through a lot of gates that a 48" cant, but then I got to thinking and read a lot of posts on this site, that just about anything smaller than a 48" is not ideal for trimming, so I will probally go with a 48" ztr if I get one for large accounts

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

99.99% of the time if you can get a 44" through a gate you can get a 48" through. You just have to maneuver it a bit. It's like carrying a couch around a tight corner.

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I mow between the stones on a 1 acre cemetary for our church. (26" apart with a 9 1/2 foot mower). I trim every third time, and it looks good all the time - A breeze, if you can call trimming 300 tombstones a breeze.. Pick you machine, get efficient. Go.

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

for what it's worth, a front mount will have better trimming than a mid mount.

6. breck75

breck75 LawnSite Member

Thanks flex-deck, you kinda answered my question. I guess the only way is to bid the job and learn more as I go. Breck :waving:

7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

breck, flex does not use a ZTR like you asked for in the question. He uses a modified JD lawn tractor with a 9.5 foot cutting width. I don't know how it will make a difference for you (tractor Vs. ZTR) but i'm just to letting you know if it makes a difference.

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

It depends on the cemetary. How close are the stones? How many stones? How many rows? Are there other row markers, etc in the way? Around here, many of the cemetaries are older, and there is a alot of close headstones and markers, making it difficult to mow with larger mowers. Most of them are cut around here w/ 21's and some 36's w/ velkes, but no matter what you use, there will still be trimming. You could use a PGR around the markers, perhaps.. There is one cemetary that does not allow above ground stones / markers..needless to say, they cut it themselves with a huge batwing mower. If it's tight areas, I'd opt for a Stander, which will give you a good trim side and good visibilty. If it's more spaced and even, go for a ZTR for productivity. Whatever you do, people in the cemetaries are always scrutinizing your work. People take damage to items and flowers placed on loved ones graves very seriously, and it won't take long for word to get to you from the manager / owner.

9. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mow any cementaries but when I started using a ZTR most of my lawns required a bit more trimming but the time reduced by using the ZTR made it worth it.

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Do you have you licensed to spray chemicals? I hear of some that spray a PGR around the headstones to control growth...just a thought that might help.