Do You Take Annual Soil Samples?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jake Wolf, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Jake Wolf

Jake Wolf LawnSite Member
    from NYC, NY

I'm If you've ever had a problem selling a client on expensive applications a soil sample may help push them ever the edge. I was thinking of going door to door offering people instant ph readings and then signing them up for applications from there.

2. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

I think annual is too often.Unless you are working on correcting a condition discovered by an earilier test.

Maryland requires 3-year testing as part of the "save the bay" program.

We use to offer free soil tests to get new accounts before it became mandatory by the state.

Those free tests generated just enough up sells to cover the cost of testing.
    Only one out of every 15 required some adjustment.ie: lime,P or K

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

how r u going to do instant? and just go by the ph reading? if it works 4 ya go 4 it

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I would have a test done professionally at a lab. We used to do "instant" tests for pH. The cheapo meters are very inaccurate, and the expensive ones tend to be to delicate for repeated field use. As far as how often, I like every other year, or with a new client. Here in CT, odds are you have acidic soil. We charge for the test, usually $50, of waive it if they signed on for a full program w/lime.

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

We pull samples if we suspect a problem on new accts. We do sub out 95% of our fert work(more profitable for me right now) We dont pull annual samples unless we are having a problem corrected or if requested.

We ALWAYS pull samples before putting in a $$$ landscape or lawn. My warranty is VOID without it. Who knows what harry homeowner or the last guy did there. We do have our own test kit to use at home but usually drop it off at the extension service for 6 bucks.

6. Sample yearly until soil chemistry is correct. Use a professional lab.

Haven't found a lawn with the correct soil chemistry yet, they all need something!