Do you take it personal when a customer cancels?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wildstarblazer, Sep 29, 2010.

1. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

I rarely lose customers and when I do it makes me wonder what the real reason that they canceled was. And I take it personally.

They said it was strictly economic but I don't buy that cause they didn't complain about the price when they first hired me. I only did the yard a few times, but they were new to the area so maybe they got other prices after and decided mine was too high. $50 for about an acre though seems reasonable to me.

Anyone else take it personal?

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I have before, and sometimes I still do. Don't sweat it. they may think your price was very fair and thats why they never complained. But in these times, some things just have to go. Lawn mowing for some is a luxery that can be handled themselves.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Only if they say, and can prove, I did a bad job.
    I would vow to get better at what I do.

That said, hasn't happened to me yet....

4. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

Kinda like the old saying goes when one door closes another one opens, keep the faith man im sure you'll pick up another, just think this could be the week you get 15 phone calls, all looking for your service.

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

In a word...yes.

6. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I used to. and then this year it seemed like everytime I lost one, another better one came along pretty quickly. don't sweat it man. if you are making sure you are doing the best job you probably can, show up when you are supposed to and charge a fair price, you'll always have work

7. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Yep, makes me mad as a hornet but then we seldom lose any.

We did have one cancel yesterday, her son is going to do it, not a big contract but still a contract. It hurts more when it's big but I don't like to lose any.

8. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

This is a business, isn't it? Why would you take anything personally, unless they were family/friends, etc. If you didn't know them before they called you, and you dealt with them on a strictly professional level, then there's no need, in my opinion, to take something personally. My advice would be to just fill that spot with another customer and move on.

Here's another way to look at it: If I'm falling on hard times, and call and cancel my television cable plan, does the cable company take it personally? Do they all sit around in the office, talking about me, wondering why I cancelled? I doubt it. Now, I didn't TELL THEM that I was having a hard time financially, so they are left to wonder. But I'm pretty sure they just take me out of the computer system and go on about their business, as would I if someone cancelled lawn service.

I can just about guarantee you, there's some grass that needs cuttin' somewhere else.

9. MajesticUSA

MajesticUSA LawnSite Member

In this business you need thick skin because it is inevitable that a customer will cancel sooner or later. I have contracts so that makes people think twice before wanting to cancel for no legitimate reason. If you do quality work and you know it... it's always best to move on and work for clients who appreciate the effort and time you devote to bettering their properties.

10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

No...............