1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

do you take one time cuts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 2, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do u take one time cuts? i take them as often as i get asked. yesterday i got a call from one of our fliers. today was the day we service that area. i didn't call the customer back, instead, i just showed up, ready to cut. this grass was at least 3.5-4 ft high. do you take one time hack jobs?
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I dont mind cutting high props, 4 ft is ridiculous imo. It doesnt matter if it is one time or 56 times a year. Just remember one thing CHARGE ACCORDINGLY.
  3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Yup but the check sure as hell isn't made out to my company.
  4. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Definately agree, one time accounts are worth it to smaller companies like ours. It helps to get the word out. We just let them know that we have to charge accordingly and that we'll do it when we're in the neighborhood.

-Mark Wood
  5. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Sí Señor :)
  6. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

sure why not... gas money. payup
  7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

what check? they give me cash.
  8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

lol... I heard that. I have only recently been doing one time cuts. It is too much trouble to put it in a route schedule, tell your crew what needs to be done, put it in the billing program. But now that I have two crews doing all the regularly scheduled maintenance, I go out and make a couple bucks. BUT it is either pre-paid or paid at time of service. If that isn't there cup of tea, they can call the next guy in the yellow pages.
  9. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

I used too do one time cuts but ended up getting screwed after we were done. They would be 3 weeks behind on cutting and I'd give them a price and it would take longer then expected. So needless to say yesterday a guy next door to a clients house was eyeing us and about 3 weeks past due. So he asks one of my guys and they point to me. He waddles over and asks if we have time. And I asked for one timer or rest of season. He says this one time only. Well I spit out $75 and he just about lite up like a light bulb. He says to me, $75 for one cut. And I said, Yep! He says how much for a cutting every week and I said $30. He says go ahead. I told him no way. He asks why. I told him it was too long for $30 a cut. He then walked away puzzled.

Ya, it's gas $ or lunch $ or beer $ but I'm out here to make a living.
  10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i had one from india ask while mowing next door. grass was tall and he wanted it bagged, but small yard. told him $50. he tried getting me lower saying last guy charged $30... i told him to call that guy and i kept mowing. the next week it still aint been mowed. he said last guys # was disconnected and said he would pay $50. i told him this week the price was $60. it was taller and i was even busier. he was still trying to get me lower. i told him to think it over for a week and i promised i wouldnt charge more than $75 the next week. he did it himself. he smiles and waves when im mowing the neighbors if hes out. i like playing with people like that. :p