do you think a degree in landscaping is necessary for success in landscaping?

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by christw, Mar 24, 2013.

1. christw

christw LawnSite Member
    from pa

I always hear the term the more you learn the more you earn,which is true. But do you need a degree in landscaping for success.I know the more certifications you have the more you look better on paper.

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you have no degree but you have experience on the field it balances out.:waving:

3. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll graduate with an Associate's in Horticulture/Landscape in May. My teachers are awesome and the amount learned and the networking is priceless. Plus when I say I'm in school/graduated with a degree, it separates my company from the 60% of companies, most are sh!theads out running around with no clue about anything.

4. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure can't hurt. Besides some of the degree will be towards business and that will pay big in the scheme of things.

5. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Is it necessary? No. Is it a good thing to have? Yes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

More knowledge never hurts, but like galli said, good to have, but not totally necessary, I would mix it with some sort of business degree as well.

7. JContracting

It depends on the program, some have business classes implemented in them. I did take several accounting & business classes btw.

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

..............no

9. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

No, but working for someone/a company that really knows what they're doing in the field is a must. EXPERIENCE! I would think an education geared towards the business-end of a landscaping company would be more valuable.

This is the issue in our industry- startups with no experience or knowledge in the trade.

10. JContracting

I'd say this accounts for a solid 50% of the marketplace.
    Posted via Mobile Device