1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

do you think a degree in landscaping is necessary for success in landscaping?

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by christw, Mar 24, 2013.

1. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Talk to your suppliers! A lot of them either know of, or actually sponsor, one day classes on different turf problems. Obviously if the instructor is also a sales rep for a particular company, take the info you learn and check out other products, but you'll still get fundamentals.

2. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Education is great, the more the merrier in my opinion.... However, all of that time in the classroom learning about plant species and turf management WILL NOT prepare you for when it's 8 o'clock in the morning on a Friday and you are looking at about 30 lawns and Joe Schmoe called off sick because he's hung over so that leaves you with just yourself and Larry and it's going to be one Heck of a day and it's 90 degrees and.................................................................

3. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

That's not totally accurate either, I know plenty of high end groundskeepers that don't have degree's, one is a landscape designer for a fortune 500 company,no degree, just years of experience in the industry, this is an industry that you can become successful being self taught, add a little bit of formal education like a assoc degree or something and you can go really far, unlike a doctor or an engineer.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  4. HDLLandscaping

HDLLandscaping LawnSite Member

I have a few years experience, but I plan to be taking courses next year in it over the summer. I figure it cant hurt anything... but maybe my wallet at first.

5. KG26

KG26 LawnSite Member

I'm going to say no. What you have to remember is when you hear things like that on the radio or the tube. The "Studies " they are referring too have been commissioned by that school to be used as marketing tool. Taking classes couldn't hurt but the degree I don't think is worth it more even when you look at what the cost of college is today. Before you jump down my throat just know that this came from a guy who holds a 4 year degree 2012 grad.

6. christw

christw LawnSite Member
    from pa

i spoke with a well known celebrity on yard crashers and he said get as many certfications as I can

7. doug1980

doug1980 LawnSite Senior Member

Degrees are good but nothing replaces experience. Having said that, I think both are important.

8. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I agree with this. I do not have a degree, but I have taken some formal classes. However, my family owns the largest greenhouse/garden center business in the area, which I grew up working at, so much of my knowledge comes from there.

You need to have something. A degree is not always that something, but it can be.

9. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say that was sound advice.

10. cjoverma

cjoverma LawnSite Member

I am finishing my turf grass science degree right now and can say that on the technical side of it my degree is well worth it but I feel at times that for what I deal with most of the time I am over educated, I would much rather have it tht way tho. My wife has a management and accounting degrees and I can say that as we r growing those come into play much more than mine. But it is very expensive and extremely hard to run a biz n go to school full time. Hope this helps