1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

do you think a degree in landscaping is necessary for success in landscaping?

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by christw, Mar 24, 2013.

1. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

When you have a degree in turf/hort/landscape and put your knowledge to work and then down the road hire employees with those same degrees, you'll be a step above the rest.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say no but I am sure it comes in handy, which is why I am currently working on my Associates degree in horticulture. I may not NEED it, but I am sure it will come in handy many times throughout my career

3. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have my opinion on education vs. field work, etc...

But I'm more concerned with what the potential customer thinks. Do you think having a degree/certifications is more appealing to the customer?

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No it doesn't. If I had a nickel for every "school of life" contractor that didn't know their head from their ass ..... :hammerhead:

5. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

A degree is a foundation from which to build on, a degree alone means nothing, a degree with several years experience means your worth more than the guy without it.Problem is, you can't go get a degree every time your forced to change careers.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have bs major in financing and bus admin. Yes it is good to have. Does it relate to landscape, spraying, mowing -no not really. I can design some great landscapes but you need clients. You need to be personal with people. Once you have it, no one can take it from you. Bottom line I would rather have experienced employees than those with multiple degrees.

7. Southern Heritage

Southern Heritage LawnSite Member

I have 3 degrees turf science, horticulture, turf maintenance. I'm glad I got them but the degree is only a piece of paper. My knowledge from what I learned is what I'm proud of and find usefull. I still go to a lot of one day seminars and re learn or learn new stuff. I feel there just as good but would take a lot longer to learn as much. See if community collage has a green program. You can go at night.
    Also ill say this, 3 friends graduated when I did. We all started the same time. One had dads money the other 2 and me where on our own. Daddy's money made it 9 months. The other two are still in the business one had a guy buy in and they are doing okay. Probably 50 high end accounts but by no means are making a killing. The other is also doing okay but still not great. Then there's me who they hit up for work and Equitment and ask why I'm so much "bigger" (Which you'll learn doesn't always mean more money. Got to feed the beast). It's simple we all know the same answers to each question we all do good work but they have zero personality. It's like talking to a board. They can't sell to save there life. There is other variables to but main thing is there presentation.
    I guess in short knowledge I great and makes a huge difference but It won't make you successful.

8. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Same here! I just want to sell work and keep my guys busy making money for THEM AND ME! If you can sell you can make money, and you don't need a degree to do thatm, know and control your cost of doing business and sell sell sell.

9. g-netics

g-netics LawnSite Member
    from u.k

no. success is determined by hard work, experience, persistence and luck and then more hard work. knowledge is helpful

10. TwoTinySprouts

TwoTinySprouts LawnSite Member

Well, I know PA now is starting to require some licensure for landscaping - and you need either to be grandfathered in, or have a degree. So for the new guys - they have to have it... I'm under the radar, thank gd, bc I do design only (no manual labor), but I'm considering doing an online program or something. My field will probably be next!