do you think a degree in landscaping is necessary for success in landscaping?

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by christw, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I can sell landscape jobs to just about anybody. I agree that you don't need a degree to sell. However, having formal education is what takes you out of the minor leagues and places you in the majors. It gives you an edge that noneducated individuals don't have. Part of my sales presentation is to hand the prospect a copy of my educational certificate (among others). This immediately establishes professional repertoire and competence.
    This year, I will have my GCLP designation through UGA in addition to my Class 24 licensure.......it's just good business!

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Having a pertinent education beyond an MBA or equivalent differentiates us from Tru-Green and Valley Crest. What are the results of all business and no science? I received both. A sound agronomic/horticultural background adds weight to the presentation.

3. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

If you work in this industry, it's imperative that you have a PHD...(post hole digger!) :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

4. OneLineAtATime

OneLineAtATime LawnSite Member

A degree will help you sell more jobs to home owners...

I don't have a degree and still rake in 7 figures a year... I have learned everything the hard way.. Still not great at design work and landing large jobs.. I have had a hand full of 6 figure commercial projects
    Not bad for a young 33 year old

5. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I know people that have degrees even advanced degrees and can't make as much as I can, even though I do have a degree I don't go around flaunting it to every customer. if the customer is a high end customer they will wonder why you're peddling landscaping or worse yet lawn services with said degree, most will think " YEA RIGHT"