Do you think I am handling this correctly?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by new2thebiz, May 17, 2004.

1. new2thebiz

new2thebiz LawnSite Member

I just went to mow a customers lawn today and he came out and informed me that his neighbor had called the cops on him the last time I mowed because I had mowed about a 3 foot wide strip of their yard also. He was real cool about it and kind of laughing about the whole bad neighbor situation, but I still feel like I should do something to make up for the trouble he had to go through, because he did inform me of the property lines befor hand, and I only went a little bit onto the neighbors yard so that I could get a nice straight line. (How was I to know they would be pricks?) So I'm thinking that I should contact the neighbor and explain that it was entirely my fault, and they should not bring the customer into it. I was also thinking of offering my customer a free fert. since his yard needs it anyways. what do you guys think?

2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I'd leave it. Unless you mowed over his flower garden or something, the guy just has way to much time on his hands. Got to wonder what the cops were thinking on that call lol

3. MJD75

MJD75 LawnSite Member

Leave it alone. Any persons who would call the cops for that have a problem...with themselves or with the neighbor. Dont even talk to that prick

4. Stephen M.

Stephen M. LawnSite Member

Forget about it; it's not your problem. Your customer gave you a "heads up" in case the prick decides to jam you up just because you made a honest mistake.

5. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

The most I would do is leave a note at the neighbor's door saying it was a mistake on your part, you weren't aware of where the property lines were and that it won't happen again.

6. dirty mo possy

dirty mo possy LawnSite Member
    from ct

I would not talk to the neighbor. Something is wrong if he calling the cops on that.

7. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry about it. Just make sure to stay off of his lawn from now on. You didn't do any harm, and you shouldn't be made any punishment (like having to offer free services)
    Just keep in mind that your customer gave you a heads up, and keep doing a good job on his lawn

8. Elwood #8

Elwood #8 LawnSite Member

Don't do anything for FREE!!!

If he needs it, SELL it to him!!

9. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

I would just leave it alone and offer your customer some discount or free service like you said. You do not want to confront the neighbor, they do not sound like the type of people that it would go smooth and could put your customer in a worse situation. I am an Officer and I have to say I have been on some pretty stupid calls but I would have to probably bite my tongue on this one.