do you think i charged to much??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sawman65, Apr 15, 2004.

1. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

hello guys
    let me ask you all a question one of my commercial cutters came into my shop on sat. his exmark turf tracer had a locked up engine. i check and find no oil and no leak. i tell him i will tear it down and see if we can fix it. on monday he calls and i explane to him his kawasaki was junk (rod broke,cam journal broken) he said he would call me back.
    tuesday he calls and said to short block it. i tell him kawasaki has no short blocks the dont make them only engines.he gets mad as hell and tell me to get him a kohler 23 hp a.s.a.p. so i have one overnighted
    at lunch the next day he comes to get his mower and i charge him $1875.00 he goes off in my showroom that is full of customers
    and said he wont pay it and stormed out to his rig
    five minnutes later he comes back in and wants an itemized bill. i give him one
    1- kohler 23hp engine 1499.00
    3 hr. labor 165.00
    2 qt kohler oil 7.00
    freight 70.00
    1- choke cable(exmark) 14.00
    with tax and enviro fee's it came out to
    1875.00 do you think i charged to much i mean i could not have done it any faster.and it was done right.....the first time i moved him right to the front of the line. this guy has bought 3 mowers in three years.buys all his trimmer line.mix oil and parts from us and hate to lose his business but i think that is what has happend what else could i do????

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

What you did was fair, don't feel bad at all. If he wanted a price, etc he should have asked. You obviously went out of your way to help him, it was his fault in the first place because he ran it out of oil. Too bad not every servicing dealer treats commercial customers to that kind of service.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Give him 3 free oil filters, and tell him how important it is to change the oil. Price seems fair to me.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'd have charged more for doing it so quickly.
    You didn't do anything for him to be po'd.

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell him oil is only 2.00 a qt put some in next time and you wont have this problem. This guy probably bit#$s about low baller to but wonts something for nothing

6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

A dealer gets about 25% mark up on engines. If you sold the mower to him I would split the mark up.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

i was looking online and you can get that engine for $1399, i beleive the same engine. So it seems more than fair to me, and I am pretty critical of dealers for the most part.

8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for your input guys, the more i thought abought it the more i knew i had done all i could. some people you just cant please
    on the upside i am so glad i found this place i am allways trying to do better than the next dealer and when you guys voice your problems or praise the service from your dealers it helps us all

9. Cleatus

Cleatus LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

he's an idiot. i would have been shocked if i got it back that quickly and it only cost that much. were are you located?