Do you think this is a good deal on equipment?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by letzgoblues, Feb 3, 2010.

1. letzgoblues

letzgoblues LawnSite Member
    from StL

2009 Tbar Fixed Deck Toro 36in Walkbehind mower.... it has roughly 125 hours... Great mower with Sulkey.
    extra set of blades, great for standard size gates, warranty WILL transfer

Stihl Weedeater 85 used about a season and half, new head comes with string

Stihl Blower b55 handheld, bought same time as Weedeater, still very strong

Stihl Backpack Blower 500, bought new in November, used about 4 hrs

Stihl Hedgetrimmer HS45 bought new in October used less than 2 hrs

2 Toro Personal Pace 21in Cut mowers with Bags, new blades run great

14ft trailer with drop Gate, tandem wheels, 01 model decent deck, and good tires

All for $5600

If not all do you think the Toro WB is a good buy and at what price?
    Thanks

2. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The used equipment market place is simply flooded right now with people dumping stuff.
    Personally I wouldn't pay more than $3,500 to a maximum of $4,000 for all of this stuff.
    Regarding the mower, maybe $2000 - $2500 including the sulkie.

3. letzgoblues

from StL

Thanks for your info. I only have 10000 to start so any savings would be helpful
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. pkra12

pkra12 LawnSite Member

That would be a great way to start up, just about everything you need! Show up with $3,500 CASH and see what he says...tell him final offer if he says no. and don't call or bring a check just go with the cash

5. letzgoblues

from StL

I really wanted a new wb mower so I could be sure it was well maintained. This seems like a great start up opportunity that could save me a ton of money that could be used for advertising and other expenses though. I may make him an offer.

6. pkra12

pkra12 LawnSite Member

If it only has 125 hours it really should be ok, make sure u cut with it before u by. check your basics, pto engages, spindles are ok, run through the gears, belts are cheap dont worry too much about them, check the oil, stuff like that. Don't rush into anyhting and you'll be fine. With 10,000 to start though i would at least think about buying a new 48inch walk behind in addition to the setup your looking at. Get a belt driven one and keep the cost down, any questions feel free to ask

7. letzgoblues

from StL

I will be working w lots of fenced in properties. I also really wanted to get an enclosed trailer because I can park it a friends house but they cost around 4000 which does not leave much for equipment. What brand model do you suggest in a 48 inch. Thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. openbook

openbook LawnSite Member

I've only used exmarks but they work well. It seems like people choose dealer support over brands because the machine will need maintenance eventually. A good dealer will keep the machine running and might even have a loaner if your machine ever breaks down.

9. pkra12

pkra12 LawnSite Member

Belt driven gravely walks are very durable and have a nice cut but what openbook says is very true, i am partial to gravely because of dealer support. what dealers do you have in your area?

10. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

It seems like a high price. You could get that stuff NEW for under $7K.

If the mower is worth $2500 (from previous post), the 9 year old trailer is maybe $1000. The handhelds and push mowers maybe another $1000 if they are mint. So the package for $4K would be a good deal.