Do you think?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by sheshovel, Mar 20, 2006.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Do you think it is true that landscape lighting keeps the plants "AWAKE" and photosynthesizing all night as well as day?

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

wow now thats deep lol

3. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Well now the last time I talked to my plants ............

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

No I am serious

5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I would expect that the answer to your question would pivot on multuple factors:

intensity of the light (footcandles)
    duration (hours above "normal" daylight amounts)
    proximity to light source

I know that Christmas cactus are routinely 'tricked' into bloom by putting them in a totally dark space for 6-8 weeks and then brought back into regular daylight. This inducement of bloom can be screwed up by streetlights outside your window (so I've read).

Also, many of the flowering plants we see blooming out of their normal time frame at plant shows are made to bloom by fooling the plants with light to induce bloom.

This is not as off-the-wall a question as some of you folks think.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

No, wrong light spectrum.

7. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Any horticulturists in the group? A valid concern, I would imagine, for certain sensitive plants.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

She by landscape lighting I take it your talking about the low voltage lighting?
    that is type of infrared lighting and does not have the energy that plants need to grow. Use of fluorescents light will make a plant grow because they contain a high amount of ultraviolet lighting which is absorbed for growth. The light spectrum is made up of usable and wasted lite lengths and normal incandescent lighting won't make a dif.

Thus the use of special "grow" lights for hydroponics

9. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Lots of landscape lighting is NOT low voltage: especially the uplighting on trees and shrubs. I suspect that the l.v. stuff would have a miniscule effect, but the other (running on un-transformed housecurrent) could have a significant effect.

10. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

She Shovel brings up a valid concern. If low voltage i used, the light spectrum is usually not in the range to promote growth, another reason to suggest low voltage lighting, but the heat produced can be a problem during dormant times. Too much heat can cause a plant to not go into dormancy or break dormancy early against it's better judgment. I have seen trees wrapped with holiday lights not produce flower buds because of the warmth of the bulbs during cold season encouraged early growth that was killed off by the cold temperatures.

Kirk