Do You Trim?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PicturePerfect, Jul 29, 2004.

1. PicturePerfect

PicturePerfect LawnSite Member

How many of you trim personally and let the others mow?

I have been considering taking over the trimmimg and ground work and letting my employee mow.

It seems that the trimming skills of the employees I find are somewhat lacking. The straight lines are becoming wavy, and the beds are getting progressivly larger each week.

There are two sides to this for me.

One is that: It is my business and I should "get" to ride and mow all day.

Two is that: The quality of the trimming isn't to MY standards.

I know the easiest thing to do is to find another employee or train/retrain employees.

What do you think?

2. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

I always trim/edge. I know it is done right this way...less chance for operator error and the blame is on me if I throw a pebble into something while trimming. Trimming/edge is an art..........mowing is cake.

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

when I'm with them, I'll trim. I'm too picky. Especially with edging beds.

4. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Ditto with all the above:D :D

5. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Teach them how to do it right, and be demanding if you have to. If they're not doing the job right...find someone else.

You don't reward bad work. As an owner, you have to learn to rely on other people. If you don't demand good work of them, you won't get it. It is something all owners have to learn at one point or another. It's tough being the "bad guy" and getting on them if they ain't doing the job right...but, it's something you just have to do sometimes, or you'll find yourself doing it all.

As with everything...being an owner with employees is a learning process.

6. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a solo operator So I cut trim and blow

7. soonernation

soonernation LawnSite Member
    from Okc OK

I have always trimmed but have started training my best mower for several reasons. If I get really sick or have an emergency it would be nice to know that my yards would be well taken care of. I also like the cardio exercise of mowing.

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Yeah, I'll fire my wife. She damn near quit when I told her she didn't trim well enough

9. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I actually think mowing is trickier, IF you want perfect stripes and real attention being paid to keeping clippings out of beds, etc.

10. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

I would say trim yourself, mostly because of the pebble issue. If it weren't for that, I would advise to just train them really well. If that fails either fire them (because they are incompetent slackers) or trim yourself. Trimming can be therapeutic and a decent upper body workout!