Do you turn down zoysia lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Mar 23, 2005.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Got a call for an estimate today. Matt goes to look at it, pulls up and sees that it is a zoysia lawn. He goes to the door, introduces himself and nicely tells the lady that he does not take care of zoysia grass. The lady says real snobby, "I would never pay you to cut my grass anyway!!" Matt says, "well why not, and why did you call then?" She says, "my nephew takes care of my lawn, I wanted you to get rid of the weeds that (insert fertlization company name here) can't get rid of on the side of my house. Matt says, "have your nephew get rid of them for you, I can't help you out."
    This lady was clearly offended that Matt said he wouldn't service a zoysia lawn.... does anyone else turn down zoysia in the Northeast?? Zoysia is the pits!!!

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i just dropped one after 2 yrs, it's all zoysia. i do have one i kept, front zoysia, back cool season, so i get a full 30 cuts out of it. but, all zoysia sucks, you get MAYBE 4.5 MONTHS OF CUTTING, AND no ferts. pass

3. 1MajorTom

We agree on something Gedd?? ;)

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

yea, and taking into consideration it's a short mowing season, with no ferts, would they qualify for the free leaf cleanup? or is that only for your 6 month clients?

5. 1MajorTom

We don't do free leaf cleanups, besides you should concentrate on figuring out how you are going to be able to afford that chalk........

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

yes you do, but, i won't tell a soul. anyhow, it's time for my nap.

7. 1MajorTom

ya especially since you were up so early since you had to make that trip to............ rest assured, your secret is safe with me.... for the time being. :)

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

A few years ago, I had one that was mostly Zoyzia grass. It was terrible! Mowing didn't start until 6 weeks after everybody else, and created dust in mid-Summer. The customer loved it because they didn't want to pay much for mowing, never fertilized it -- it was just THERE! They installed it originally because it was billed as "maintenance free."

The owner moved and the new residents mow it themselves. However, I still have the lawn next door. The Zoyzia grass from #1 has crept its way 10-15 feet inside the line of my customer, so I'm still involved, albeit in a much smaller way. The boundary between the two properties is turf, both sides.

If I was given an opportunity to quote on one now, I too would turn it away.

9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We have passed on a few over the years as well. No matter how much HP you have, it still will slow you down. It seems its always old people who have the zoysia lawns here, and they don't understand you can't mow it short b/c you will remove all the blade growth and expose the crowns , making it look terrible. The worst one ever is right next door to my dad's house. I haven't lived at home in 14 years, and they neighbor's zoysia has creeped about 15 feet into my dad's back yard, slowly taking over the TF /KBG lawn.

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

If you are going to cut Zoysia short then you almost have to cut it twice a week when it rains alot. Otherwise I just cut it high--3.50 to 3.75" Still makes a mess