Do you use a leatherman?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Holland, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna buy a leatherman or similar brand multi-tool. You guys have any specific model recommendations?

Thanks! ;)

2. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

leatherman surge- won't leave home without it. It is a little heavy on the belt but worth it

3. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge TTi. I don't leave home without it, but the Wave is just about the same thing nowadays for a lot less money.

4. ncpete

ncpete LawnSite Senior Member

Gerber Multi-tool. Worked retail (home furnishings and appliances) for the last 12 years, it was on my belt every day, and for 6 of my 10 years in the Army before that.

Get the one you feel best with. I like the sound of the Gerber when it slides open, and the jaws open wide enough to get around washer hoses. Definitely the tool that fit my needs.

5. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

any full size leatherman with pliers... Two things I always carry in the field are my leatherman and my ESEE 3.

6. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Leatherman Blast here. Once you use one a while, you won't want to be without. Don't get caught up in the "I've gotta have the biggest one. You'll use the pliers a LOT.

Surprisingly good steel too. Really takes an edge.

7. PA GrassChoppers

PA GrassChoppers LawnSite Member
    from PA

I like my gerber that slides open with a flick of the wrist, because I can conveniently open it one handed when I need it.

8. ncpete

ncpete LawnSite Senior Member

I was working on a customer's computer in the field (in da hood!) once, that slide sound had them all jumping over the bed, thinking I had just charged my pistol.

9. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Leatherman works one handed (kinda like a butterfly knife) once it "breaks in" a bit.

Forgot to mention in my previous post that I broke mine once. Sent it in, no receipt, no questions asked. They sent me a new one (mine was several years old). I paid shipping to them, they shipped the replacement. The new one is an upgraded model. And yes, I was abusing the he11 out of it when it broke. (Don't pry sideways with the pliers).

10. PA GrassChoppers

PA GrassChoppers LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have a leatherman brand tool but only used it a few times, perhaps that's why it is hard to open lol