1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you use a stick for work?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Shopkeeper, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

I'm just curious how many of you drive a stick shift truck around for working with and why you do it.

Extra MPG? Like shifting? More power? Just happened to be on the lot?

I personally drive an auto now, but it's because it's my DD and my work truck. I was thinking about getting a stick work truck because it'll be cheaper and because I like driving them, but I wanted to see what everyone else had to say about it/why they were driving their sticks.
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Personally for me it doesn't matter in a pick-up. If it's my daily driver I would want an Auto. BUT, if it's a 1ton dump or bigger I def. want a Manual trans.

I Think it really has to do with the midset of the person. I like to grab gears and hit buttons Hi & Low range splittin ect... If you have other ppl, driving your stuff (AKA) idiots than it may be better to have an auto
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

I cant stand shifting unless its my Camaro, gotta love 700hp and a 6-speed.
    My Freightliner is even an Auto. Had a 1 ton GMC Dumper that was a 4 speed and I hated that thing soooo much. Got the heavy loads moving though, no problems there. I probably hated it more for plowing and then just held a grudge with it :laugh:.
  4. lyube

lyube LawnSite Fanatic

Too many different people drive the trucks. A stick would be a liability.
  5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I like a manual. Yes there are plently of idiots out there.
  6. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer a stick and no one drives my trucks except me they are sitting in passenger seats
  7. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

when was the last time you had to rebuild a manual tranny?

even if your a bonehead i think you would allways blow a clutch or a u joint before you hurt the tranny

I live inbetween the catskills and the shawangunks, i want the power, the extra milage, the control of the truck.

I change brake pads when they rust out, not burn up.

the inconvience of being stuck in stop and go traffic once in a blue moon is not that important to me. personaly i don't know why anyone would want a slushbox

just my .02
  8. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I guess your choice lies with your preferences. I recently bought a manual truck because I planned on the being the only one driving it. I have not driven a manual for a long time and driving a one ton truck compared to the jeep I drove before was a big difference. Even though I am still not that great at driving it smoothly, I definitely prefer it over automatic.

If you are going to have employees, GET AUTOMATIC. Every worker says that they can do this or that to get the job. In reality you will have someone that does not care about your vehicle driving your truck like a race car. This goes both ways however. If you have an employee that you know is proficient at drving manual I would prefer he drive it because it means he has to pay attention. I think that automatics make people more careless and they have more chance of getting in an accident by multi-tasking while driving.

Also know that if you buy a stick truck the resale value is going to be low. Not many people know manual anymore and are too lazy to learn. Plus, not all employees can drive it so employers wont buy it. The dealers I went to said they do not sell/buy used manual trucks for that reason.
  9. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as I've been driving (25+ years) I've liked driving a stick. I've driven heavy trucks with both sticks and automatics. I always thought that all my trucks would be sticks. However I ended up buying an automatic because it was on the lot, it was otherwise what I wanted and the price was good. Guess what, I LOVE having an automatic. It is so easy and relaxing to drive, and the electonic auto with tow/haul mode works way better than the old autos. Occasionally I miss shifting gears, but not much. I do have to admit that if I ever move up from a pickup to a class 4 or 5 truck I will at least consider a stick. On the other hand if the trucks I test drive have autos that work well they will be considered too.
  10. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

My International dump truck is a stick but everything else is an auto. It is amazing to me that not very many kids today know how to drive a stick. I bought my step-son a jeep when he turned 16 and it was an auto. It turned out to be a pile of crap so we got rid of it. I bought him a stick shift Ranger and I had to teach him how to drive it (his dad is a jerk and has no patience with him). The main reason why he caught on so fast was that I told him what was he gonna do if he was talking to a chic and she tells him "Jump in my civic and let's go ridin-you drive" and he can't drive it- no sugar for him. That lit a fire under his butt!:cool2: I later asked him if any of his friends could drive a stick. He said none of them could and he didn't know if their parents could. He then told me that his dad could not drive a stick. I couldn't believe that a grown man can't drive a stick.:dizzy: