1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you use a Tractor instead of a ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcramer, Sep 23, 2006.

1. dcramer

dcramer LawnSite Member

Do many people on here use a lawn tractor instead of ZTRs? I am looking to buy 2 more riders for my business next year and I dont know what I want to do yet. I have a Grasshopper 721 right now but i am not happy with the cut. I have watched a local lawn service use John Deere tractors with foot pedal controls and they really makes those puppies go.
  2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

I love my GT for the job...
  3. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

I like the John Deere F1145 or the 935 machines. Diesel, 72" decks with little or snow scalping and good speed/torque. Being front mount along with a cab helps make the machine versatile. I hate to have a one application machine.
    The Deeres mow, blade snow, sweep snow and parking lots, accept Kubota hurricane pto driven blowers for snow and leaves. In winter, the cab is heated and they are narrower than a large z, which makes it ideal to blade/sweep sidewalks when it's -30 F. Love that cold...:laugh:
  4. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

If your just doing wide open areas, a steering wheel with foot controled hydro might seem fine. If you mow around a lot of obstacles, you will find that you'll miss the quickness and simplicity of a mower with just two levers. The steering wheel and foot hydro will seem like extra wook.

What procedures have you done to level your GH deck? The GH outfront decks are a redundant procedure to get the pitch and level just right. Once you get it dialed in, it should cut fine.