1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do you use carb/valve cleaner gas treatments?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJM, Jun 8, 2004.

1. TJM

TJM LawnSite Member

How many of you use gas treatments made to clean carbs/injectors and valves, like STP gas treatment. How often do you use them and do you notice a differance in how your engines run? Any preferneces on types you have tried?
  2. TJM

TJM LawnSite Member

Oops, sorry about the Spelling!
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use a product called seafoam. It is a cleaner and also a fuel stabilizer, I use it every time I change oil and the last few weeks of the season I make sure all the gas I buy that it is mixed in so that all my engines has a good mix in it for the winter. Also seafoam is good for keeping 2 cycles from getting gummed up, a great product in my opinion
  4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

all the way, really works!:)
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I was recommended a product called Chemtool by an ex-mechanic friend of mine. I do have it in the spray form, but not tried pouring any down into my gas tank.
  6. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't tried carb cleaners, but thought I'd pass this along. I bought my Gravely with 23 horse Kawasaki new last year. It has always been a bit hard to start and usually required choking briefly even if it was hot. I just assumed this was the nature of the beast, as this is the first Kawasaki engine I've had experience with. There is a Casey's convenience store in the town where I mow, and they sell 10% ethanol gas. I've always liked running it in my vehicles when available, so a couple of weeks ago, filled up my mower and extra fuel cans. After running perhaps 10 gallons through the mower, I found I no longer had to choke except on the initial starting of the day. Also, I remember reading years ago, back when I was interested in motorcycles, that ethanol blends make an air-cooled engine run slightly cooler than pure gasoline. Some of you gear-heads could likely elaborate on this aspect.

One note though. To the best of my knowledge, ethanol blends are NOT recommended for two-cycle application, as it is my understanding the solvent nature of the alcohol has a tendency to scrub the cylinder walls of oil. Neill
  7. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Just plain Rubbing Alcohol.

You need to be careful when using Fuel injector cleaner. For some of them will destory rubber carb parts in trimmers and chain saws.
  8. Teff's Lawn & Snow

Teff's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

I agree, seafoam is the way to go.