Do you use contracts on every install?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by seolatlanta, Mar 3, 2007.

1. seolatlanta

seolatlanta LawnSite Member

I was wondering how many of you use a contract for every installation that you do. After an experience I had this week with a client I am going to have to do it.

Can those of you who do tell me what is included on the contract? Did you draw it up yourself or have an attorney do it?

I had a homeowner this week tell me that my proposal should include adding fixtures.When he read the proposal I gave him and his wife he "presumed" that adding fixtures and transformers would be included!?

After doing this guys neighbors house he asked me if I had problems with the first guy.He said the builder of the neighborhood said these people drov e him absolutely nuts with insane requests like mine and that they withheld payment numerous times as they are doing to me as well.

I will get paid ,but if I used a contract as well that defined the scope of the work and the terms, etc. I could nip this kind of homeowner insanity in the bud.

Any tips will be appreciated.

2. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

Dave you should always require a contract for every project you do. In california it's the law for projects over $500. Although a contract will not guarantee payment. It does give you leverage and is valuable in defining the payment terms and scope of the agreement. If you file your proper notices it also gives you mechanics lean rights which means when the property is sold escrow cannot close until you're paid. Not very comforting if the owner has no plans to sell though. Bottom line is you've got to really qualify the people you work for. Not always foolproof but you can usually see red flags before an agreement is made. If possible ask other contractors how their experience was. Some people are simply not worth working for. Homeowners often require references before hiring. It seems contractors should require references of some homeowners before entering into a home improvement contract with them too.

As for a contract to model , contact AOLP I'm sure they can help.