Do you use edgers very much?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowerMoney, Sep 3, 2005.

1. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Got a new "temporary" customer the other day. He just needs someone to keep the yard tidy until the house sells. He can't mow it anymore due to having bone cancer and spinal surgery.

Anyways, I notice in his garage he had an edger machine. It's a 3.5 HP Murray Delux with tilt on the blade and adjustable offset wheels. Says he paid $389.00 (Canadian) for it and tried to sell it for $50. Says I can have it for $30. When I cut the last time, he pushes it out and says I can have it for free. Good deal? :)

So I took it but don't know if I'll ever really use it. I already have an adger attachment for my trimmer That I've only used about 3 times and that was mainly to slice up sod for easier removal.

Does anyone use them very much? I always just use my trimmer on all edges.

He's also getting rid of a heavy duty 12 speed drill press for $200 (CDN) that I'm giving serious thought to. Comes with a 2 way adjustable vise. Thinking of offering him a trade of 4 cuts for it.

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

people can barely give them away.

i used an edger this one time a few years back....

3. Prot1

Prot1 LawnSite Member

We keep one around for one reason only. Walk behind edgers are great for yards that haven't been edged in a while, if ever. We only use it a handful of times in a year but it definately comes in handy. Sure beats a stick edger or weed eater.

4. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

everyday, on all of my lawns. i edge every bed, street,sidewalk,and driveway on all of my customers, but I use a stick edger.

5. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

I use a stick edger all the time too, as much as possible. Not many people edge at all around here so it really sets my service apart......

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

same here for me also, alot dont edge or they just trim the grass back with a string trimmer, they dont really even trry to edge they just weed eat the sidewalks and looks uggggggg, so it is a good selling point for me.
    I have both edgers and use both edgers, it just depends on how bad or how much edging I have to do as to which I use. I do alot more edging in the towns that have sidewalks and such. Alot of my country yards have no walks and nothing to edge

7. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a gas edger setting in my shop which I haven't used for at least 3 or 4 years. Adjustable tilt, curb hopping option, different depths etc. It is just too much trouble to start and keep running so I switched to electric.

Been using a Black and Decker edge hog for my own property and it has plenty of power and is always willing to start. The look it leaves
    is a perfect straight edge along a sidewalk or driveway and if the ground is dry it will cut as fast as I walk.

Nosmo

8. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a stick edger attachment for an Echo PAS-260, have edged nearly 3000 feet with it this year at .85 cents and $1.00 per foot.

9. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, call me a newbie or whatever (been doing this for 3 years now) but I've been reading these posts about "stick edgers" all the time and I don't have a clue. What exactly is a stick edger??....... I have an edger attachment for my Stihl trimmer (so I guess it's on a stick) , is that what you are refering to?

10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I use my echo stick edger on places that have not been done for awhile then use my weedeater turned at a 90 degree angle the rest of the time and it looks good to me. I do not like the echo edger, it is a wussy and is so slow will bog down in mud. One of those pieces of equipment that I felt like was a waste of money.