Do you use Premium (91) or Regular (87) in your ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Pierre2013, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl calls for 89 octane.

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

That's what it says in my Sthil books.

I buy gas for my mowers and handhelds at the same time. Being Sthil wants 89 octane because their air cooled engines will run cooler. Being my mowers are air cooled they will benefit from running on 89 as well. So I that is why I use 89 in my mowers and all the other equipment that I own.

Auto's get 87 octane.

3. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

This is what the manufacturers call for, so that's what I use. Oh, yes, it's also ethanol free gas, and at least so far have eliminated gas related problems I used to have.

4. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely no reason to put anything other than 87 in mowers unless you want to get 100% gasoline and premium is the only way to do that where you live. Compression is not high enough in these motors to require anything greater than 87. Definitely smart to put 89 in handheld mix especially 100% gasoline to avoid dumb carb problems on them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

I usually put 87 in the mowers and handhelds but after reading what these guys use I'm going to try 89 for the handhelds.

6. Uponone605

Uponone605 LawnSite Member

I also use 89 in the equipment and 87 in the trucks. The smaller engines especially the two stroke does not like ethonal

7. nismothunder

nismothunder LawnSite Member

Booo, I only get the 100 percent 92. For like $4.40 a gallon.

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

87 in everything and never a problem from it in 30 years.

9. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup me too never any issues. But PSC you have always been a rebel .... how long has that 210 been runnin without an air filter.:laugh:

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I think it is a 230 and it has been going about 6 or 7 years now with no air filter. I used it today actually. We did all our monday lawns today because they are calling for torrential rains tonight and tomorrow and off and on rain all week. It doesnt even have a primer bulb. Flip the choke on and crank it two or three times and it fires right up.