Do you use the plow safety chain

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Dusty, Dec 27, 2000.

1. Dusty

Dusty LawnSite Member

A few weeks ago I was stopped by a State Trooper and he checked to see if I had the plow safety chain in place. This is the second chain that holds the plow up in the event of a hydralic failure. I did, because I had been warned about it a few years ago by a town cop. Have you ever been hastled by about this. Apparently it is a law or regulation in some states.

2. Psyclopse

Psyclopse LawnSite Member
    from In

I've never been checked, but then again, the cops in my town are too ignorant to even know any better. I could tell them that the lift chain is a safety chain and they'd believe it.

3. bcngtr

bcngtr LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I purchased my 8' Western plow used and there was only 1 chain, the lift chain. Where does the safety chain go and is it used only during transportation?

4. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

I knew about the chain up spot but I did not know that it was for a safety chain. I've been plowing for quite some time now and have never heard anything about it from police or any others.

5. Dusty

Dusty LawnSite Member

I have been asked about where the chain is located. On my Fischer plow there is a second chain welded to the moldboard A-frame. It then goes up to a slot that has been cut into the side of the right hand upright on the plow lift frame. When you are plowing the chain has enough slack in it for the blade to drop about 3" below the level of the trucks normal plowing range. When you travel over the road, you raise the plow and then remove the slack in the secondary chain and reposition it. If your lift chain or hydralics were to fail, this chain will keep the plow blade from falling.

6. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

My SnoWay has this goofy little collar that goes around the hydraulic cylinder that will "supposedly" keep the plow high enough off the ground in the event of a failure. The thing looks like it would crumple under the weight of the plow, but I could be wrong. I keep it in the glove box just in case...

-Tim

7. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Tim,

The goofy collar works. We had to jack the blade up and then use it to transport it to the shop one time.

8. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

I've never been hassled about it and I've been plowing for a long time.
    My only truck that i've used that had it was on a Fisher, the plow I have now(western) doesn't have one.
    My old dodge with a meyers never had one on it either.

9. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

My western doesn't have the safety chain, I'm new to this business and I just never thought about this before, but it sounds like a good idea. I do however always carry a come-a-long to pick up the blade in case of failure at the pump.

10. 9FT.PILES

9FT.PILES Banned

good idea,i think weld one on tomorrow.