1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

do you use uniforms for your help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Jul 7, 2002.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: Just curiuos if any of you use uniforms for your guys or not. we lease pants and shorts from cintas, and have a customer of mine who owns a print shop do are t's, sweats,jackets, etc.Tony.
  2. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

indeed, LawnSmith Turf Maintenance shirts, kaki pants(no shorts), boots(no shoes or sandles), and absolutely no hats.
  3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Why no shorts, or no hat?? Some people need a straw or other hat to shield them from the sun. There are plenty of plain kakhi ballcaps and straw hats which would look professional and not be offensive.

We supply tanks, T's, sweatshirts, jackets and low profile ballcaps

It's also a good way to get a little extra advertising as well as look professional

4. General Grounds

:blob3: i agree bob, we supply our guys w/ a khaki baseball hat and a floppy hat, as well we also give our guys fanny paks, comes in handy for the guys with the line trimmers they carry an extra spool all ready to go so they dont have to walk 2 blocks back to the truck. t
  5. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

just personal opinion and preference when it comes to the uniform. i run my business in a very professional manner and appearance is a big issue of mine. im fairly vain when it comes to this sort of thing. i run all scag equipment,(2 TTs and 2 walk behinds) so those match and all 2 stroke stuff is shin so it matches. white truck with black trailer and black wheels. it may seem very funny but appearance is has helped me land some of my best jobs. i know this because of client feedback and its always positive(in that aspect at least, LOL).

IMHO, business men/women should not wear hats or shorts to the office. well, my office just happens to be everywhere i go and i feel these standards fare well in any environment.
  6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

For the most part I totally agree with LawnSmith. NO shorts for guys. I do not have gals working for me, but would not have a problem with gals wearing shorts. As for hats that is up to the individual. But in this country not wearing a hat isn't real smart. The sun is too direct. I do offer to pay 1/2 of the large cloth hats.

As for the original ? I started this year buying T shirts for the help. I got tired of them having NO CLUE as to what is respectable to wear on high end res properties.
  7. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Who offers laundry incentives?

I'm just wondering your guy's whole policy on clean uniforms and how you keep them khaki's clean...If you issue uniforms, how many, etc...
  8. General Grounds

:blob3: yardboy, i lease from cintas and they come every monday and pick up our dirty and drop of a fresh set for each guy, each guy is issued either 6 shorts, or pants or they have them mixed and matched. they also take care of any repairs the clothes may need. tony
  9. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

No hats???
  10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I buy uniform shirts from Cintas, khaki w/ my company name and logo on the pocket, and give 3 to each employee. They are required to wear them. They must wear long pants, I do not provide those. They can wear what they like for pants as long as they aren't rags. Most wear jeans. :)