Do you wear hearing protection?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dobehap, Jun 18, 2003.

?

Do you wear hearing protection:

1. Always

97 vote(s)
    72.9%
  2. Sometimes

19 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Never

17 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you wear hearing protection?

2. dobehap

I would wear it all the time, but my biggest complaint is ability to wipe of sweat with ease.

Taking off glasses for the task is half the burden already.:rolleyes:

3. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

Yep. Got tired of my ears ringing after mowing my own yard.

4. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

It is annoying because then you cant hear if you have a bearing start to squeal and things like that but I guess better to shell a bearing and damage something than your hearing for life.

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Not wearing hearing protection is as stupid as not wearing eye protection........ However, just by this post I realize the mentality of many LCO's..........Errrr..... and wearing shorts and/or no shirt on the job is just as stupid. Man found out long pants can actually help protect your legs from poison Ivy/etc. stones, branches, prickers bushes, roses, other debris and Deer ticks. Now all we have to do is educate LCO's cut up legs ain't manly.
    Pete

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I wear the foam plugs in my ears. This cuts down the damaging decibals considerably, plus I can still hear things. The way to go. I was going to go with Peltors, but I didn't want to run around with white ears.

7. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

What....? ;)

8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Hearing protection also keeps you from getting skin cancer on the top of your ears...........

9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I always use the foam plugs with a string attached...very comfortable. I'm going to get some Elvex or Peltors for this fall...to help keep all the dust out of my ears. :)

10. dobehap

Eye protection protects you from the unexpected, where hearing protection for the most part is controlled, therefore not as dangerous.
    I'm sorry if your Hustler is too loud ;)

Mower decibles arent as damaging as you taking off your plugs and sitting down in your trunk, and turning the volume to a point where everyting vibrates.:p

Dont be quick to judge someone Pete, you know they make electric mowers too :D :D :D

BTW, I do wear long pants:)