Do You Work 13-14 Hour Days?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mark in MD, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I believe this is my first thread started.

I read in another thread that a lot of people plan on working July 4th. I don't get that. I've never worked July 4th in my life. In fact, I typically work four days a week in starting in late June and into September -- sometimes even three days a week. How? I start at 7 am, and I work until dark. That way I get all my work done.

How many of you work 13-14 hours a day when you have the chance? I do.

How many work 8-10 hours only, and then decide to quit and go home for the day, regardless of whether you're done, or caught up?

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

We try to complete the days work, no matter the hours....So yes we do sometimes. Later, Tony

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I get as much done in a day as possible. I'd much rather work fewer days & more hours than more days w/ fewer hours per day.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

it's all in what you consider "work" Mark

5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

My guys would not go for 13-14 hours a day. Most of the time were done buy 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

6. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I understand your logic in wanting to work less days, but don't you have a full schedule on Friday, Thur, Etc. We would always make sure we finished our schedule for the day, but would not start on the next days schedule the night before.

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I hear ya Mark. That way you can have fun on weekends. I remember working 90 hour weeks when I started my own business, but after two decades, I'm getting burned out. I still put in 2 hours more per day compared to my employees, but now I seldom work more than 55 hours a week, although there are exceptions. I know one thing....the more hours you work, the more money you make. Too bad Uncle Sam penalizes those who work hard for a living, cuz we're paying for lazy Americans. Sad but true.

8. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I would always work 10+. Seems like I wouldn't profit until after 1 or so...then it would pile up.

9. Sym

Sym LawnSite Member

I/We average 10 hour days from loading up to unloading at home. Where i was today, we got lots of couds, rained to my west, south and east but not where I was so it was nice and cool. I just kept going so I put in almost 12 hours today.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

People with crews need to work 5 days a week......or the guys will go get another job on the days off.....and quality suffers as you get beyond a certain point....