1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Do you work 7 days a week?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimsLocalLawn, Apr 30, 2013.

1. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

My route is ran Monday through Friday. I get rolling at/around 8 AM, and finish most days by 6 PM. Saturdays and Sundays are my days off, and I try to keep it that way best I can. If some special job has to be done that can't fit in during the weekdays, I'll sacrifice some time on Saturday for it. Certainly not working on Sundays though. That's my "house work" day, at least while the lady's at her retail job.

2. JaysLawnServices

JaysLawnServices LawnSite Member

As much as it takes. Varies. Especially since I'm still in school.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. MTenterprises

MTenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

No. Will only do commercial on a Sunday if they are closed but never a residential on a Sunday.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. MTenterprises

MTenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I have three words for you. Work Life Balance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. CurbAppealKS

CurbAppealKS LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with MT, only commercial on Sundays. That's only if I have to, like this previous Sunday when I got rained out two days during the week.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. smokenjoe_10

smokenjoe_10 LawnSite Member

depending on how the lawns grow I work 7 days a week no matter what farming when I don't need to mow. I get yelled at all the time about wearing myself out.

7. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

If i didn't have down time, i'd be miserable, so i have no interest in working seven days. I try to push hard so i can wake up saturday and not have to worry about working.

8. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Missouri

Nope. This is my 2nd year.....

Mondays my crap properties, if the don't care about their lawn, I don't care what it looks like on the weekend kinda of thing.

Tuesdays are my big lawns. I don't do commercial, but these are the type lawns that take an hour minimum.

Wednesdays are open for new clients and maintenance for now.

Thursdays are over flow from clients requesting Fridays but I don't have slots open.

Fridays are my best lawns.

Saturdays are maintenance, mulch jobs, rain day overflow.

Sundays are spent sleeping in, snuggling with the wife and dog. Having a good breakfast. We do spend time reading the bible and talking about God. We do not go to church, although we are Christians, we think organized religion is as bad as organized Government, a bunch of people wanting to tell you what to do and how to do it.

That may be too much info, but since tomorrow is my maintenance day, I had a few beers tonight with my BBQ and infeel like yappin my jaws before we hit the sack.

But to go with the Sunday question. If my schedule was full, I would do maintenance on Sunday's, but it would be a couple/few hours. Keep in mind I am solo and don't have to go over a fleet. Plus I'm a vet, so I have a daily PMCS on my equipment, then a weekly, so maintenance goes by rather quickly.

PMCS....Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i got into lawncare to escape the rat race of life.

i work 5 days a week. really only 4 and friday is a makeup day for rain or anything extra. i've worked on saturday a few times but it's a rare thing. i never work on sunday.

10. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I ain't had much choice, in my 12th year I'm north of 10% past my all-time record number of jobs, I'm backed up so far I tell people it's going to be a month or two and still they ask me to put them on, some days I get up at 3:30am and by the time I sit down again it's 11p, the last 9 days I did 1650 which I'm sure is low by some accounts but I got mouths to feed, equipment in need of parts, cars and trucks that need replacing, bank balances continuously running low, the list is never ending.

I ain't been this busy since I can't remember when.

So yeah, mind y'all, I worked the last two or three Sundays.