Do you work 7 days a week?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimsLocalLawn, Apr 30, 2013.

1. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I completely disagree with this. A good business plan is going to lead you in the right direction for doing business. If the business grows at a rate that you need employee's but can't quite step over the fence to hire them yet doesn't mean the plan is flawed. Working 7 days a week is going to happen when you're solo and have grown to the point of needing employee's.
  2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Emergencies happen.

Working 7 days a week every week is not an emergency.

Once an LCO has 4 10 hour days of mowing he should be looking for a PT helper.

It is better to break in a PT helper when you have 48 hours of work for the one day that you use him or two half days. It will not hurt as much until he gets up to speed as compared having 60+ hours of work and bring a new guy on board.
  3. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I think of it like most farmers do. There's work to be done, I do it. I certainly don't stress over it because I enjoy the work. It's both a life and a lifestyle for me.
  4. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I work around 60 hours a week. For the last 8 years I have kept a log and record all my times. I would suggest everyone do it for one year, you will be surprised how much extra time you put in that escapes you.
  5. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow You are clueless
    It has nothing to do financial and nothing due with paying my bills
    I'm not breaking my back Its way of life
    Im not solo either. I'll work 7 days a week if it gets the load down.
    Like last Sunday it was calm winds, I sprayed all day. In one day I did 1/3 of my round 2 Now it goin rain till sunday with wind So I have to wait.
    When you have a open window to do the work . It might fall on the weekend,so you work to get the stuff done. That's a good business plan
  6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I think it's disrespectful to work residential on the weekend. The weekend is supposed to e time for family and relaxing.

Once in a blue moon ill work a part Saturday. But only for landscaping to be finished. Never for grass cutting or any maintenance
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Regardless of the day of the week if a family is outside I move on to the next lawn and come back another time.
  8. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

You work 7 days a week and only netted 30k and I'm the one that's clueless, :laugh:
  9. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the growth statement. I don't yet own a landscaping business but I have a business plan written and it's clear that I will at some point be working 7 days a week. I work 2 sometimes 3 days a week at my full time job, in order to replace the salary I make there I will need a solid 4-5 days of work which comes out to working 7 days a week while I'm transitioning from full time working for the man to full time working for myself. The business plan definitely doesn't include working 7 days a week long term but it will happen for a period during the transition.
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I may need to work 7 days a week into June because our green season is being compressed so much by this wintry weather.

On a normal year, no, 5.5 days a week.