Do you work in DC?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tthomass, Jan 26, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Those of you who work in DC.........do you need to have additional licensing? I'm "fully vested" with VA and venturing into DC due to connections with a designer.

2. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Goodluck finding parking. :walking: :walking: :walking:

3. tthomass

from N. VA

The jobs this guy is involved with are:

-All "high end"
    -Often limited access
    -Require cranes
    -Yes, parking sucks
    -Highly detailed jobs
    -Tight spaces in small places
    -Difficult

But:
    -It's a challenge
    -Break from the easy
    -Will get published

Now I don't want to all the time do this but as he has them come, here and there, works for me. I like doing jobs that are very much outside of the box and extremely detail oriented. Also using different/foreign materials for some interesting looks. The International will most likely be parked at home on most of these jobs and put the Chevy "into action".

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

as i stated before my mother lived in Fairfax and now in the process of selling her home. As far as me going there i dont know how in the hell you guys get around there pulling eqpt. I been with her over to dc where she worked and thought where do you haul away material too , and trying to wait for a truck to bring in material, what a pain that would be. Good luck to you.
    Mike

5. tthomass

from N. VA

DC is no easy task.......I like to stay in Loudoun County really

6. mdmowerman

mdmowerman LawnSite Member
    from 20833

i know a few guys that do maintence working in DC and from what they tell me make sure you have everything locked down and closed up, even if u can still see the tuck/trailer. (side door on an enclosed)..... it dosent really matter what part of the city your in, you never know who is driving by

ive heard of a lot of timmers and blowers, rakes, shovels etc. getting lifted also

sounds like youve got teh clientel to make it worth your while, just curious as to what part of the city your going to be working in. (pm me)

7. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

In answer to your question, yes you do need additional licencing to apply chemicals in DC I think its through the health department. Contact VA regulators to get correct department, be prepared for red tape, and you may need someone who speaks gibberish to translate what the DC government says.

8. tthomass

from N. VA

I spoke with DC. All I had to do was register to say yes, I do work in DC. No license is needed for what I do. I just keep a tally of all work in DC and pay taxes on that.