Do you work "In" your business or "On" your business?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MDLawn, Feb 21, 2013.

1. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think we all realize we as owners still play a large role in our businesses. You don't just sit with your feet up on the desk sipping a 100 year old scotch. And you don't take a vacation in the middle of the peak parts of the year. I guess more of the owners who cannot give up the "operator" position vs those who spend time on improving processes, etc.... You're always working on and occasionally in the business. But I'm assuming lots of us would like to pursue getting out of the field completely.

But again I like all of the responses so far. I don't want this to turn into one side is right and the other wrong. More just showing how people try and operate. For me I have zero interest in continuing to be the typical owner operator. There is a hard and flat ceiling working that way....
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

@ dnc

How many years did it take before you stepped out of the field?

What percent is maintenance vs. Install?

Also do you have dedicated office people?

3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

In my opinion it takes working in your business to be good at working on your business. The problem is some never make the transition out of the field. My personal business plan has me exiting the field in 5 years. Maybe less. That point will mark 10 years since my business has been my fulltime and only job. My business was part time for many years before then.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. dnc19694339

dnc19694339 LawnSite Member

i was in the field for about 3 yrs before i let my helper take over the mowing route. I then started doing landscape jobs by myself or with helpers. Eventually expanded to more crews.

about 40% maintenance 60% install (mostly hardscapes)

I have a girl who answers the phone and does my books april-august, after that I forward the phone to my cell and i do the books.

You guys who are growing will find out that finding GOOD help will be your biggest obstacles to growth.

I have grown a decent operation up here in NY but I am selling soon to move south and start over down there. Cant take the snow anymore.

5. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Where in NY?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. dnc19694339

dnc19694339 LawnSite Member

Im in Syracuse not too far from you. 18 yrs of plowing has burned me out.

7. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

The bold statement is golden. I cant stand the morons that say you cant become rich from a certain business. And that it takes until you're 60.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. SydneyLawnCare

SydneyLawnCare LawnSite Member

Lol yeah. People who say these things most of the time have too much of a hard-on for grass and not enough motivation in actually expanding/monopolising.

9. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

Sydney I hope you achieve your dreams. I believe anything is possible. But you really should do it before you tell the rest of us how wrong we are.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

subscribing....good stuff.