Do you work on Memorial Day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GSJ, May 24, 2002.

1. GSJ

GSJ LawnSite Member

We work a little longer each day to get ahead enough on
    friday. On friday we do half of our monday routte. It's
    commercial sites and they understand. Luckily the weather
    cooperated this week so we'll have monday off.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Depends, this year I am but not cutting. I am at the fire station.

To answer your question, no I don't and will not cut on a holiday unless it is a closed commercial property that is behind. Most of my customers will put up with long grass but they don't want a 26hp mower flying around the picnic.

3. I've always been able to make it a 3 day weekend, but I rarely have the weather problems that lots of other areas deal with.

4. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Not planning on it, but with the rain yesterday and today forecast, I'll be starting out on Tuesday in the hole. I just hope next week is better from a weather standpoint.

5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I refuse to work on like July 4, but have been known to work some of the other holidays if I was bad behind. Not planning to work monday this year, if the snow melts then I might be able to finish this weeks mowing tomorrow.

6. I had plann on having a 3 day weekend also but this rain here has really mess things up . So I am a day behind already and raining here again today so I will take sunday off but will mow my business monday

7. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

We'll get ahead a little today. Usual day tomorrow.
    Monday just a handful to do. Start late-finish early.
    My wife always pokes fun at me when the weekly schedule starts in May. "See ya' in November!":rolleyes:

8. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

I need to, but think Im taking the day off. Got to change oil in the truck and the Exmark and clean them up, clean out the garage, help the neighbor build a deck, etc., etc., etc. Yep...gonna take the day off.

9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

For us, a half day tommorrow (Sat.), and off Sunday and Monday. We've been working hard for almost 3 months now, everybody needs a break. We only mow Tuesday thru Friday, so this won't pose a problem. I'm learning it is important not to let the business run you, and this means taking long weekends if you want to. Have a good weekend, everybody. Mike

10. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

Don't like to...but with this darn rain, looks like we are!