1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do your clients ever accuse you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wells, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

It always amazes me when a client calls up and out of no where starts accusing us of some sort of property damage. I will always meet with the client on site to see the damage for myself and I must say, people will accuse you of anything and everything.

Example 1: Had a guy call up and accuse me of putting deep groves in his concrete sidewalk, he claimed it must have been done by our ZTR. So I take my machine over to his house and show him that there is no way that our mowers could do the damage he was claiming. It looked to me like a backhoe bucket had scratched the sidewalk and it looked to have been there for several years.

Example 2: Had a lady accuse me of spilling gasoline on her yard, said she had a big dead spot and it must be gas spillage. This one really made me think since I don't ever fuel up outside of the trailer. The lady showed me the spot and it looked like someone placed and round object on the lawn depriving it of sunlight for several days and turning the lawn a light yellow color. I explained to her that it was not gas spillage but rather a lack of sunlight, then out of the corner of my eye I spotted a round trash can lid in the sandbox that perfectly fix the discolored patch of grass.

Example 3: Had a guy call me complaining that my mower was leaking gas from the tank onto the wheels of the mower and was killing the grass everywhere I drove. After looking at his grass it was determined that his sprinkling system wasn't working as the grass was drying out and the tracks he was seeing was do to the weight of the machine running over the dryed out grass not leaking gasoline.

So i'm sure it isn't just me that gets these b.s. accusations each season so lets hear what you've been accused of.
  2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I had jury duty last year and sat net to an owner of an overhead door company. He installed around 15 or 16 new doors at a factory. Half way through the winter he gets a call saying that all the doors paint is coming off for the first 2-3 feet up from the ground. Guy goes over on a nasty icey morning and meets with the plant manager. He can't figure out for the life of him why the doors are losing paint and rusting. They go inside to talk and as soon as they close the door behind them he hears bird shot on the doors and its getting closer. The company salting the loading docks was driving down the building pelting the door and chiping off the paint. He looks at the plant manager and told him to call the Plow guys insurance and writes him an estimate to replace bottom sections of doors.
  3. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Had a customer accuse us of leaving tire tracks on their recently sealed driveway.I went over and looked at it and there was a couple spots that you could see distinct tracks. Took pictures of my tire tread on all mower and showed it to them and didnt match damage. Then we looked at his car tires and it was a match.What a red faced fellow(Jack arse).
  4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Can't say I've had any experiences like these ... however, I have had some nasty encounters over other things.
  5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Ya, seems like I get at least 1 a year. Luckily I can usually figure out the real cause quickly. It really drives me nuts though.
    My first year in business, (I was just doing fert and squirt) I got a call about 4 days after I had done my first fertilizations. This couple was livid, they thought I'd killed a big patch of their lawn. So I go straight there and find a big dead spot on the front lawn. I'm baffled and mortified. The guy is breathing down my neck while I try to figure it out. I dig into the lawn and notice that it smells like radiator anti-freeze. So I ask him about it, and he says,
    "Well I did drain the radiator on the motor-home here, ya think that might have something to do with it?"
    He told me that if I didn't tell his wife that he'd done it, he'd keep us on for as long as we were in business, that was 1995 and they are still clients.:laugh: :laugh:
  6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I just love reading posts and threads like these sometimes these are the best threads on here and shows how some people have no common sense what so ever i have had plenty in my day and way to many to list but iam like the rest i Do prove the people wrong and cover my butt 99.9% of the time . I understand people such as us do make mistakes but we are pros my god
  7. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

This year I was accused of breaking the siding on the home of one of my clients. The siding is about 1.5 to 2 feet off the ground and I know I never lift the trimmer up that high. To make a long story short, I lost this client and $100 that they owed me.
    I think it was broken before I started on the job, but I failed to inspect the property.
    You live and you learn!
  8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Always check the property with owner and make sure that you point out everything you see that is wrong even if he or she doesn't notice it. Bring it to there attention and write it down in case you need it later. It seems everyone is sue happy these days so cover your a_ _.
  9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I hope in that case you went over and picked up the trash can lid and placed it right over the hole. Please tell me you did that. And then tell me she apologized profusely for having totally wasted your time.
  10. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

On customer said I stole there 2 gallon pump sprayer I did not. I get accused of breaking sprinkler heads sometimes.