Do your clients really care?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Sep 3, 2001.

Customers who notice

1. Do your customers notice when you do a good job?

5 vote(s)
  2. Do your customers care if you do a good job?

1 vote(s)
  3. Do you care if you do a good job?

15 vote(s)
  4. All of the above

51 vote(s)
  1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm just wondering how many of a LCO's clients really care how good a job you do? Do they notice when you put clearly visable stripes down? Do they notice whether or not you trim everything every time you cut the grass.

Just today I started cutting a clients lawn. When I arrived at the lawn I noticed that there was some new lawn furniture. No biggie. When I got down by the pier I noticed all of the boats were gone. One of my eyebrows goes up at this point. I started mowing the grass (yes, there will be a point to this story) and glanced at the house. All of the curtains are gone! I ride the Dixie up to the house and look in the window. The house is empty!

So being the sharp fellow I am I figure something's wrong here. I go to the next door neighbor's house and ring the bell. He answers the door and I ask him if his next door neighbor has moved. He said "Yes, he had to be out by September 1". I tell him "Thanks" and go to leave. Then he asks me to give him a price on his property for next spring.

So I gave him the price and explain some of the things I do which included criss-cross stripeing the lawn next door. He say "You do, I had never noticed". When I pointed the stripes out to him he said "Yes, that does look nice".

I have had this happen a few other times too. A couple of people have said not to even bother stripeing because they never even see the yard. They drive and walk right by it and never even look at it. It kinda makes me wonder why I even bother to do a good job sometimes.
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have some customers that always tell me the lawn looks excellent and great job, but then i have a few huge lawns that i stripe and they come out looking extremely well. they have never said a thing. i think the best thing is hearing compliments on a great job youve done.
  3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a little lost on this poll...How does this work?

Do I select the one that I can answer "YES" to? If so I can answer "YES" to more than one and I am sure many could also.
  4. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Didn't work for me neither.
    I wish to answer "YES" to all :)
  5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

yeh. i posted what i thought above, but didnt vote. i couldnt figure it out as well.
  6. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I think many times the customers just expect you to do a good job. Your first month I think is when you set the standards. If you did not edge or string trim around the beds I bet they would let you know. If you don't hear anything from them then you are doing a good job. It's that one time your behind and start taking short cuts is when they will let ya know. Some customers are watching your every move and they no what your going to do next before you do.
  7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can answer YES to all three of your poll questions. I always do complete & quality work, even if I feel the customer could care less. I have picked up alot of work through word of mouth and you never know if a potential customer is eye balling your work. It's also real easy to lay my head on the pillow at night, operating in this fashion. :) ;) :) ED
  8. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Richard, The question I have is. They moved and didn't tell you? So you are mowing the lawn for???
  9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I didn't see a place to vote for all of the above, so I added it and voted on it.

Most of my customers do care and so do I, but I'm sure some are not impressed with my stripes. :rolleyes:
  10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

This was the topic of discussion as my wife helped me for the first time today since she was off work. I sometimes wonder if it is really worth it to be extremely meticulous or just be average. I go beyond the call of duty on my properties most of the time. The particular property I cut today has been growing like nuts the last three weeks. They irrigate every day and it is out of control. The last three weeks I double and triple cut it. The one week I bagged it and hauled the clippings away. This property is about 2 acres. That's alot of fricken' grass to bag.
    The people that cut the commercial property next to this one always does a pretty good job also. I think we are in competition on whose will look better, we just don't know it. Anyways, last week he cut it and on the hill facing the road everyone travels and can view these properties, there was a fair amount of brown dead grass clippings. He must've just cut it and left it. If I wouldn't have double and triple cut mine, it would look like this also. I just can't get myself to say screw it and leave the grass lay. But does this make me more desireable next year to this company, or is what he does acceptable? Because when I double and triple cut it, I might as well have stayed home as far as profit goes. I guess it will always be a guessing game on what is acceptable or not. I just hope that in the long run, above average work will pay off for me. I try to do better than others and when I leave the property, they have nothing to complain about. Time will tell I guess!