Do Your Customers Have Irrigation?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ShooterK2, Sep 29, 2010.

1. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I read a lot of threads on here where people mention that their lawns are dead due to lack of rain, and they now have nothing to mow, etc. Around here (western Oklahoma), all the nice lawns (as well as some not-so-nice ones) have sprinkler systems, so no matter how dry it gets, we always have green grass to cut. Now the HEAT can make it slow down on growth, but the irrigated yards still grow enough to warrant weekly cuttings.

So I'm just curious: What is your location, and do your customers have irrigated lawns, or do they just die out in the event of a drought? I'm just trying to get an idea of what parts of the country irrigated lawns are popular in.

2. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I would say over 95% of my lawns have irrigation. Very very few here do not have sprinkler systems.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. EliteYardServices

EliteYardServices LawnSite Member
    from Utah

In my county, if you build a home you need a sprinkler system with in 3 years on finished construction or you get fined till you get one. And 95% of P.I cities are irrigated and 60% of culinary cities are irrigated... so and 70% of utah county is irrigated...

4. wvaughn7

wvaughn7 LawnSite Member

Where I'm from no one has an irrigation system. Some of the very highest end neighborhoods will have some, but other than that no one has one. I don't know of a single yard within 5 miles of my house that has any sprinklers unless its a Walmart sprinkler with a hose hooked up to it haha.

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

The majority of my customers have a sprinkling system. The only ones who don't, live in town in houses that were built back in the 60's and they have small lawns.

6. MR-G

MR-G LawnSite Senior Member

here in my area most do have irrigation as well.....we usually wont even take them on if they dont have it due to lack of work from those without:usflag::usflag: during the dry months.

7. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I've thought about doing this very thing for next year. I just haven't figured out how to tell folks no........

8. Fireguy97

Fireguy97 LawnSite Senior Member

Never, ever tell a customer no. I never do. I just price it high enough that I'll be making money no matter what happens. Price it high enough for that yard that you will make money (over the season) and that you will come out profitable. Same as a PITA customer. Just price it high enought that it's worth your while to put up with it.

Mick

9. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say that my accounts are about 50/50 with irrigation systems... Most of the newer houses already have it these days - it's the original owners of older houses who are slow to make the switch.

I also have about 15 accounts with 90-100% zoysiagrass, which do fine without the irrigation anyway.

10. Georgia Lawn Works LLC

Georgia Lawn Works LLC LawnSite Senior Member

One customer has an irrigation system installed. One customer.