Do your employees get it ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EDEN77, Apr 21, 2009.

1. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

I hired a new employee last month. He's very young and totally inexperienced. But, I've never worked with anyone who has a better attitude and is more willing to listen to directions. His perfect work attendance and best attitude make him worth all the time and effort to train him.

Last Friday, I told him to take the WB mower to the trailer with the blades disengaged, shut off the engine, and then put a jack stand under the deck and clean the deck. A few minutes later, I walked up to the trailer and heard the mower engine running. He was under the deck trying to put the jack stand in place WHILE THE ENGINE WAS RUNNING. Well, everyone in the neighborhood heard me while I told him how dangerous that was. I thought I shocked and scared him enough that it wouldn't happen again.

Today, I was mowing at a property while he was trimming. He was trying to advance the trimmer line manually from the trimmer head when part of the head got away from him and rolled directly towards my mower. I raised the front end of my mower so I wouldn't destroy the part and reached to disengage the blades. Before I could get the blades stopped, my employee reached down under the deck to grab the trimmer head part. I blew a gasket. WHAT THE !@#$%^&* ARE YOU DOING ??!!!!!!!!! I gave him an official verbal warning and I am handing him a typed written warning tomorrow that he will not be allowed another ridiculous, stupid maneuver like that again. If he does something that dangerous again, he will be fired on the spot----for his safety and my sanity.

Does anyone else out there have an employee who just doesn't understand what a lawn mowing blade spinning at very high RPM can and will do to the human body when it's where it's not supposed to be ?

2. BlackDog3

BlackDog3 LawnSite Member

I have seen that all to many times. Where i used to work we had mindless guys working. I have seen them put machines into the most dangerous positions ever and not get killed. I think you are right on for doing that. Safety is a must especially with dealing with machines that can kill you.

3. dreich3075

dreich3075 LawnSite Member
    from Ct

If he does it again I think you should use his arm and deminstrate for him

4. BCarlson

BCarlson LawnSite Member

Look into some safety videos, I've seen some gruesome ones that I couldn't eat my lunch afterwards. If he makes it to the weekend have him come in on saturday or stay late and watch the video. If memory serves me correctly Dupont put out the videos....Let him know that the last thing you want to do is explain to his mom/wife/girlfriend why he's now without a hand or arm.

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

run a small watermellon over for him to show him what it would look like.

6. browningv308

browningv308 LawnSite Member

last year i hired a guy to help me picked him up that morning went to the still dealer and bought him a new weed eater took him to the first job of the day and told him to weed eat while i mowed 10 minutes later looked over at him and he was using the weed eater to hammer in a ground rod at a meter base because he kept getting the string caught on it left him at the gas station on the way to the next job

7. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

I'm amazed at how stupid my 20+year old employees are. I'd expect a 3 year old to require extreme supervision...but a 20 year old ???

8. MajesticUSA

MajesticUSA LawnSite Member

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Anger, it just doesn't work, you'd think it would, I used to.
    But I found over the years, probably the only thing anger teaches consistently is fear.
    So then they learn to be afraid of us.

So far I like this answer the best, and the safety videos one as well.
    There might be another along these lines but it's in the methods behind the training.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You have a big potential problem ........I don't think safety movies are going to be the answer. If he has demonstrated little common sense then you need to let him go before he hurts himself or somebody else. I would not have asked a new guy to go jack up/raise the machine and clean under it.. Start them off trimming and blowing until they get confortable around equipment. Just reading threads on lawn site is kinda scary listening to the type of questions asked.