1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do your friends wives do this to you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawns Lawns, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Do you have any friends, and or their wives that once they find out you have a new piece of equipment they think you will then do the job they have been dying to get done for FREE? My friend stops over with his wife and sees my new powered dethatcher and says "ohh are you gonna come over and do our lawn for us?" I wanted to say "um did you smoke your breakfast this morning?" but i didn't. No offer for payment is ever offered, i believe they think i should do it for free since i have the equiptment and guess what they have a lawn.... :dizzy: :dizzy:
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i tell them sure, we can "trade", i'll do yours, if you do "mine". one time...it actually worked :)
  3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

In that situation, I'd probably give them a shock quote, a number that's a bit astronomical for the service in question.

Whenever this comes up, I'm inclined to tell people that business and friendship don't mix very well and that if I had to choose, I'd rather have them as friends than as customers. That one shuts most people up in a hurry.
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yea this is always tough. EVERY Spring I have a list of my family members that want things done for free. My grandfather my stepdad my Aunts and Uncles! I can unnderstand my grandfather but evryone else is taking advantage. I did a bunch of FRee Aerations last fall Cursed every min. of it
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure.....I'll take care of it for you......where do I send the bill? payup
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My reply would have been, "sorry, but I don't do charity work".
  7. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I use this as a golden opportunity.

I have friends and neighbors that have various commodities to trade. The things they have (usually work related) costs them far less than retail much like me doing an aeration or seeding etc... It costs me much less than I charge.

You can get free car washes, dinners, car repair etc...

I look at it as an opportunity. JMO
  8. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I try not to do anything for friends because I alway's get burned alway's tell I am to busy.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I had some new friends of ours ask me last month about landscaping work around their house and I just looked at them with a "are you crazy" look.

But I have to agree, I stopped doing stuff for friends long time ago. Heck my only relative that I take care of is my grandmothers lawn
  10. Updog

Updog LawnSite Member

My parents and sister alway expect me to cut their lawns. I can't stand it I bust my arse all week to sit down for Sunday dinner to someone giving me greif. Just cause it takes me half tje time it would them. I fthey need help building a deck or any other project that would be fine but to ask someone to do something that cost them money(fuel) and time is just inconsiderate. I do have freinds though I trade with anytime I need somthing embroiderd I get it for free and once a quarter I get 10 collerd shirts done in exchange for services.