1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do your goals end with lawncare/landscaping?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrusk, Mar 8, 2004.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

As i am starting out this year at age 18, i have big plans, goals and ideas in my head. My goals however go way past cutting grass. So i am curious if other people are planning to be the biggest landscaper in the state, or are just in landscaping to raise enough funds to move on to bigger, better more profitable things.

I'd tell you guys my plan, but i'd proably get laughed at and told it is impossible.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have dreams and goals all the time. The one thing that I have learned is that you get back what you put into this business. Nothing is easy or a given. So if you have goals, yes you have to work your butt off to get to them. My goal is to retire before I'm 45.
  3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

matt-please share your dreams. we are not here to laugh and critiscise, but to encouage and enlighten.

my dreams are to gain a large base of maint. accounts. more than hardscaping itself.
  4. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

This is defineatly a great business to be in rusk. I too have a larger picture in mind but I love where I'm at now. I'm 22 and love having my own business but would like to eventually start building houses (If I cant make it on the World Poker Tour in the next 3-5 years ;) ). I want to keep this business successful and run 1 or 2 trucks with 18ft enclosed trailers and 4 guys. I'd like to stick to "property and landscape management".I have big ideas brewing all the time but only God know's what going to happen in the future (not that Ms. Cleo might not have a good idea :D ) I want to work hard to get my business to where I stated, and earn a contractors license in the next 3-5 and take it from there. BUT i would defienatly be happy doing this for a long time. Scott
  5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

You gotta have goals and desires. I have been mowing since I was in the 4th grade, now 30. Now we not only mow, but we have a couple 100 spray/fert accounts, we landscape the old and design and install new, I am in the sweeping and line striping business. Alot of our commercial accts. wanted sweeping done, so we have a skid already, just purchased a self contained broom and I bought a new line striper machine to incorporate into our business.

During the winter we do alot of snow removal - but you can't count on snow like grass growing. So to keep everyone busy, I got into real estate buying older homes, fixing one or two during the winter and reselling.

Don't limit yourself to lanwcare. Look outside the box, be creative, you are what you want to be. You have to assert yourself out there. BE conscious on the things happening around you and alway asking what else can I do. We all have broad business plan to work with so utilize your skills! Most important - do what you can handle, enjoy your work, the people, and have fun maken money!
  6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I'll right guys. I'll post my plan. If you tell me its impossible, you will only motivate me more.

I plan to have a landscape, lawnmaintence, excavating, and home construction business. It sounds impossible, but i have a vision. If the company is built correctly, each division will compliment the other, and make the whole company more profitable as a whole.

To make this dream a reality, i am holding off on spending big money advertising lawncare right now. I am trying to learn everything about the above trades. I am currently becomeing friends with the right people in town, and will have no proablems getting jobs in those fields. I already have 3 years experience framing. Lawncare will give me the money to buy bull dozers and tadems. Excavating will give me the money to buy land to build homes.
    By the way, i am also learning everything i can on real estate for investment.
    This is the short version. In my head it is much more detailed.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

My goal is to go fishing more often.
  8. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on doing landscaping in a few years after I learn more about it. Then several years after that I plan on starting a excavating / paving company and running that seperate from my lawn care / landscape business. I'm uncertain if im going to do paving or not but I have plenty of time to think about it.
  9. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

My goal is to have enough work to where I wont need to worry about money. I want a shop and plan to do only lawn/landscape work. Most interested in hardscape so in 2 years this is where I will focus most of my attention.
  10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Lofty goals but hey shoot for the stars. Lawn care is a division of our over all business. We also a run a contracting business. Anything from cement driveways, walks, walls, to shingling, int/ext painting ext. If we can't handle it, I have a few contractors that we will sub out the work to. They do the same for me as well. Networking is important, but don't get to personal with them. Business is business, your business!

Next step is to take our business to home building. Start with one and progress. It gets hectic to keep everything on time, motivated, etc but we make it work.

Whatever you have planned, have a good business plan, back up plan and go with it! I like your excitement & energy!