Do your Sagos look like this?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Sprinkler Buddy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

2. i have a customer with 2 that are pretty bad...i told them to scrap em...they are small and not worth the headache.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Actually can be treated. First use a high pressure spray tip and remove all of the Scale from the top and bottom of the fronds including the trunk. Apply Malathion Oil spray with water. repeat every 10 days to Two weeks until control of scale is achieved.
    easy-lift guy

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

That must be an old publication you linked to. No dimethoate in residential areas. Farms and nurseries only with a 14 day REI. Not saying that I agree with that. In another time, I would apply dimethoate in residential areas, including to ornamentals around my house. I am still alive and my customers are still alive.

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

That pretty much looks like 2/3 of the Sagos in this area. I Local Ace hardwares have a Malathion/Oil in one bottle. I've got a customer who uses it just a few times a year and hers stay perfect.

Anyone tried Safari for cycad scale?

6. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I have never tried Safari. The key is to remove all of the scale, treat with malathion oil spray, as stated earlier.If not the problem becomes chronic and other problems arise as well.
    easy-lift guy

7. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Safari works well for cycad scale, foliar spray is locally systemic and translaminar and a root drench works well too, quick uptake.

Greendoc, Maruyama came in today, man that thing is big! Gonna be heavy full but I trust like you said without pumping like crazy walking is easier.

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Big, heavy? That thing is designed to be carried by the rice farmer's wives. Most of them are not 6 foot tall and former members of the shot put team either. I am actually less tired at the end of the day using that rather than unrolling hose. Only reason why I would run the skid sprayer is to apply a 5 or 10 gallon mix to more than 2000 sq ft. 20 years ago, I remember spraying miles of hibiscus hedge. The sprayer I used back then was a Chapin 5 gallon stainless steel and brass backpack. Empty, it was about 20 lbs. I did that because the brass pump could take the pressure I wanted. I have blown plastic pumps trying to get enough spraying pressure out of them. I had 2 ceramic disc core nozzles mounted on a swivel to treat for mites. Now that was heavy, combined with the force needed to generate 50 psi. Every time you pump, that pushes down on the carrying straps. An engine drive backpack is well padded and it gets light very quickly when it is moving 1.8 GPM.

9. Plantculture

Plantculture LawnSite Member

Safari drench has worked for me.
    In regards to backpack, I changed the straps to the type on a hikers backpack. The weight is on your hips rather than your shoulders.

10. Sprayjockey

Sprayjockey LawnSite Member

I apply Safari all the time as a drench and it works great.